Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Apple worldwide adaptor package has six plugs. I'm sure there's some members here with the package, plus... most of you won't be using them all anyway. I don't want to buy the entire package just for one plug, so if it's possible.. anyone with a HONG KONG plug they want to sell me?

Thanks!

-Philips

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
In most HK hotels, I didn't even need the plug adaptors. The wall receptacles had a combination of inputs and of course your transformer is automatically a dual voltage one. No worries!

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
You'll be pleased to know that your adapter will also take you to Irak!

Incidentally, when I went to HK a couple of years ago I bought a DVD player that came ready fitted with a UK plug...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just did a 3 week tour through mainland China and found that the only adaptor I needed was one that went from the N.A. straight "| |" 110v plugs to the angled "/ \" 220v plugs. As gmark stated, the PowerBook, iPod, cel phone, as well as my 3 Canon transformers are all made to take up to 220 volts!

In addition many hotels and homes had "combo" outlets that had 2 or 3 different type of 220v connectors clustered together, you plug in to whatever shape you need.

I took a cube tap (compact three in one plug) and plugged it into the adaptor, so that through this one adaptor I could charge three toys at once.

Four star hotels often had a set of N.A. style 110 volt plugs around the desk as well. (Sometimes though, the only 110v outlet was the "shaver only" ones in the bathroom, where 110 volts seems to be the standard because it is safer around water.)

You don't need the specialized Apple adaptors that won't work for other things and you don't need the big world power kits with multiple adaptors and transformer. You could buy an adaptor for each transformer, or use one for all your needs.

If only connecting to the internet everywhere was as easy, but that's another story.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
As pointed out, most decent HK hotels have multiple sockets or adaptors. If in doubt, get a UK socket adaptor (available at all Canadian airports) as this will work in Hong Kong (a legacy of the British Empire). Plus, Hong Kong is literally festooned with gadget shops and the airport is the best I've ever encountered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes. HK is quite a treat. Its definitely not my first time visiting. I was actually born in HK. Their gadgets are overwhelming, but many stores cheat money. I don't want to end up with a faulty product. They have no refunds/exchanges! I won't have access to the nice hotels. I'll be living at home. I don't have one of those transformers, I think I'll be needing one of those.

Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hong Kong uses two types of plugs, which could be classified as old and new, the old is two circular tube like prongs. the new looks like north american standards, but instead of one being bigger then the other like our two prong plug, they're the same size. Check your Apple plug before you go looking for one. Looking at my iPod plug, it would work in HK. Also in Asia they use 100V instead of 110V, so transformers aren't really necessary either.

Also worst case scenario, if you go there without one. You could easily buy an adaptor there, as they have a lot of overseas travellers there, as well as having to adopt to the newer Japanese style (2 prong standard).

vince

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
howing, your powerbook/iBook power adaptor will take 100-240V AC, 50/60 Hz and auto-detect the change in current/voltage. You don't need a transformer, just the socket adaptor. Even Mac desktops have switchable power supplies.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Howing,

There's a market, I think two or three stations above Mongkok in Kowloon where there's a ton of computer vendors, even a street market (just like the Night Market on Temple Street). In TST there's a computer mall in the top floors of the Star Ferry building (across from the terminal).

Either case, you'll get the plug adapters cheaply from them.

I love Hong Kong! (Although eating and hotels are cheap because of the high rents and property values.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Gary.
i know tons of places in HK that sells computer stuff, but they mainly sell PC stuff. LIke Wan Chai and Mong Kok as well as "Ap Liu Street", all these electronic places are PC based. I just wanted to buy that little interchangeable socket for HK. I know the adaptor can do it, i just need that plug!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I travelled through China and Hong Kong recently. I brought my iPod, Minidisc, digital camera etc. The only thing I brought was a plug adaptor. All these devices use their own power adaptor so the only thing required was a plug adaptor.

The plug adaptor can be bought in any Radio Shack. It will be A LOT cheaper than the Apple adaptor, plus you can use it for all your other devices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.