Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MacCentral has this article with quotes from Apple about the future of the G4s.

Apple notebook users are going to be stuck with G4s for a long time -- from what I've gathered.

Article:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

"Apple steps into the future with Panther and G5"

Apple's renewed relationship with IBM doesn't mean that Motorola will be going away anytime soon. In fact, Apple will keep one G4-based configuration around for as long as the market demands. The G4 model will sell for $1299 directly from Apple.

"Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."
It's quite understandable -- at this point of time -- that the G5s run WAY HOT to be put into PowerBooks. Heck, the G5 towers have 9 fans to keep from overheating. Power consumption's a problem as well. Hopefully next year will bring stunning G5 performance to Apple's PowerBooks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Exactly.
They just developed the cooling for the towers.I think that it will be a good amount of time until we see a G5 laptop just because of that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've heard G5s run cooler than G4s, but it'll still be hella hard to stuff 'em into laptops.

Also, I seem to remember hearing rumors some time ago about Apple working on active laptop cooling systems -- that is, some kind of cool (and kewl!) liquid circulatory system. Wouldn't that be happenin'?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
"Said the Little Engine that Could 'I think I can, I think I can.'" However, I shall not wait for this development. Sorry to disappoint you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts