Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new user, with a MacBook Pro, operating system Mac OS X. I've been able to use my CD/DVD drive just fine with disks that have content on them, but when I insert a blank CD-R, it doesn't seem to be recognized. What I want to do is burn a blank CD with some photo images, which I have converted to jpg files and placed in a folder on the desktop. I want to look at those images on a PC. I've had to do a force eject to get the blank CD out. Do I need to use a formatted disk?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Does a pop-up window appear when you insert a blank disc after a few seconds asking you what you want to do with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Disk Utility pop-up appears because under the system preferences, I had specified that's what I should see. But, what it shows me is the short-hand for the last DVD that I had in the drive. It doesn't show me the blank Memorex CD-R.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
go into sys prefs and change it to "ask me what to do" and see what happens

also try resetting your PRAM before you do anything..cant hurt to try

restart holding cmd option P & R, hold until the machine has restarted twice and chimed for the 2nd time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll change those first two System Preference options to "Ask what to do".
Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I know what the "P&R" refers to. I assume I should quit all programs, tell the MacBook Pro to restart, and then hold down the command and option buttons while the computer reboots. (But what does P&R mean?)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I would also try a different (brand new) blank CD as well. Some blanks are damaged even when new. If you had to do a force eject, chances are it is a bad CD.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Okay, I'll change those first two System Preference options to "Ask what to do".
Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I know what the "P&R" refers to. I assume I should quit all programs, tell the MacBook Pro to restart, and then hold down the command and option buttons while the computer reboots. (But what does P&R mean?)
It means literally the letters P and R. On the keyboard.

A7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts