1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Pretty lame if you ask me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How is that lame? Wouldn't you want to know that the company you spent a whole lot of money into acknowledges the problems with their product? I know if I had one of those machines I would super pissed at Apple for not helping and fixing the problems and I may even decide to go to another type of laptop from a different manufacturer in the future.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think it's lame because I doubt the petition will affect Apple's next move in any shape, way or form.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It can't hurt though can it? I guess we should probably all stop voting as well, since one little vote never makes a difference...

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Any word if the new iBook G4's are having this problem? Is it just effecting one brand of LCD or is it effecting all of Apples LCD suppliers? I heard it was due to the slim design of the Powerbook and tight packaging. Dunno, anyone else hear what causes this?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think this is great!

It is sad when Apple says "There is nothing wrong with the 15" Powerbook" and "What do you mean white spots?"

This is what I received from Apple and have read from others as well when they contacted Apple. How a company like Apple can sit back and not admit that there is something wrong is beyond me. That would be like a car manufacture not admiting that after 300,000 accidents due to faulty tires that there was nothing wrong and no investigation is necessary. The automobile companies don't play that game, so why should Apple be aloud?

I have yet to see ANY press news from Apple admitting that there is a problem with the 15" Powerbooks. Is Steve jobs a whimp to actually say something?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, it can't hurt, but online petitions usually don't achieve much. They are usually just a waste of time.

It's far better to just return the Powerbook or call Apple Support about the problem and if they don't do anything about it write them. A company that has equipment returned will definitely do something about the problem.

I hear you can email Steve Jobs, which I think is actually an email address to Apple execs.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Apple says they are looking into it http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/31/15inch/

I think Apple is slow to acknowledge some problems because they want to research the problem to seee if it is actually a problem before they acknowledge it's a problem. Probably some legal requirement by their lawyers. Not to knock anybody, but sometimes users report problems that aren't problems, or are other companies' (ATI, Nvidia, IBM, Oxford Semiconductors, etc.) problems.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Actually its not the LCD's that are faulty. There are some spacers between the LCD and the screen cover that are pushing against the LCD's that are the cause.

Aparently Apple engineering is looking into a remedy so all these people sending in their PowerBooks is for naught since all they are doing is replacing the LCD screen instead of a real fix which is not ready yet. If you have such a problem wait until Apple has a fix for it then send it in. Even then, wait a couple of weeks since there will be a backlog of repairs.

If mine exibits this problem I'm going to wait. AppleCare will take care of the problem in due time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts