Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mac g4 with os9.1 and I would like to be able to lock out my disrespectful roomates ( :mad: ) that dont know how to take care of a compter.
does anyone have any suggestions other then then multiuser optpions?
thanx :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Disable CD-booting. This method prevents users from booting from a system CD. However, don't ever, everforget your password, or you'll never be able to log into your Mac again.

Also, try upgrading to Mac OS X, it's far better with security. With MultiUsers in OS 9, that should be secure enough. There's no way you can hack through that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not exactly the best solution but I found it kinda amusing for awhile :D
I'd simply hide the mouse from my disrespectful older brother whenever I wasn't around . For a novice user trying to navigate with just the keyboard, it'll annoy them enough in to submission...lol

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Rick:
Open Firmware Password Protection requires a boot into OSX v10.1 or later (ie that must selected as your your startup disk. Booting into OS9 is acomplished by using the Option key and entering your password, then selecting the OS9 System Folder). If that's fine with you, then it offers much improved protection.

Refer to this Apple document for features and limitations. Apple Knowledge Base

If you read the document, you will notice one rather obvious reason why Apple wants to eliminate the ability to boot OS9. You can improve protection by setting up a single user in OS9 (multiple users) and requiring a startup password.

If you do try it, I would be curious to know if it's possible to startup from CD by pressing and holding the mouse button during startup (which normally opens the CD drive door) and then inserting a bootable MacOS CD. Normally the door won't open until the boot sequence advances past the user/password phase, it's just that it's not mentioned in Apple docs.

The most obvious drawback would be if you forgot your password. Another potential problem surrounds troubleshooting a sick OS; still as long as you know your password you could boot from an OS CD (Option key on startup), as Open Firmware runs prior to launching of the OS. Getting the disk in the drive may be a bit of hassle, but shouldn't be impossible, you could view that as either good or bad.

Bull:
Enable a single user (yourself) in OS9's multiple users. You can then set up a password to boot from the HD. (I don't know of any other way in OS9). This can be easily circumvented, but if your roomies aren't Mac savvy they probably won't figure it out (PC users are typically unaware that a Mac can easily boot from a CD, for example).

If you want, set up a guest account for your roomies. Just be aware that enabling/disabling applications in OS9 can be tricky, as many apps depend on control panels, extensions, scripts, etc for full funtionality. Still, it would be easy to limit guest use to surfing the web and a little word processing. You probably should not allow access to Help, which is a little too helpful if they want to find out how to override your new setup.

·
Registered
259 Posts
To secure my TiBook I've used the open firmware lockout with the login password turned on. Also, a locking screensaver helps out LOADS. Most of the modules in the screensaver function in the System Prefs have that capability.

But to really lock down your computer hard, you've gotta start encrypting your really sensitive stuff. There are lots of utilities that use RSA-level encryption.. even the good old "Apple Security" OS9 app work pretty well... too bad it hasn't been updated for OSX yet.

-SJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts