Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to plug and unplug a 2nd monitor into a new 12" powerbook with the power on?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Not sure why you would??

It likely will not synch up anyway. Might come up from sleep. Probably not the best idea since a poor ground could equal a fried MB. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Probably not the best way, but I've done it a few times. Doesn't recognize it right away sometimes, but that is why under the Display Preference Pane or the Display Menu Item, there is a feature called Detect Displays. Works fine and dandy after that.

So yes it is OK, but not advisable as MacDoc did say, it could fry something, but the likelihood is slim, but still there. If all else fails, just sleep the PB, attach the adapter and wake it back up. That should work a little better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using a crt monitor right now but will be using a cinema display next week with the adapter and I couldn't find any info on either monitor.

Thanks

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
With a Powerbook you could use a dock for everything
including the monitor: bookendzdocks
(This link is for an example, The prices are expensive at this link)

This might save you wear and tear on your monitor port as well.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
what if the unit were asleep?? would that matter? just for curiosity's sake ;)

H!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
If you've got the time, shut down both computer and display. If you've arrived late for doing a presentation
*ahem* you can get away with plugging it in hot and selecting "detect display." :confused:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Is it ok to plug and unplug a 2nd monitor into a new 12" powerbook with the power on?
By way of second monitor, Do you mean a monitor that is
plugged into a PCMCIA video card?

If your laptop can have a PCMCIA video card, Then you could
just power off the card by way of the onscreen menu.

I can't find any reference of a PCMCIA slot at
www.everymac.com for the 12" powerbook though.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I always plug my cinema display into my laptop when it's on.

I never thought this would be a bad thing??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From a lot of searching all I could really find out was that according to Article ID:88064 in Apples knowledge base you can plug an external monitor in when the laptop is asleep.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Pamela - It "could" be damaging. The chances are extremely slim, and I don't think there have been any reports that is has caused problems. Besides there are people who when their computers are on, unhook the monitor all the time. Haven't heard of any fried video cards or monitors. So I wouldn't worry about it. It is "safer" to plug it in when the computer is asleep or off however, but the technology has been made so that it won't fry, the signal, just stops at the connector, and doesn't go anywhere, like you turned off the monitor.

Not anything to really worry about. Unless you also worry about being struck by lightning, stung by killer bees or eaten by a rapid possum. ;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Not anything to really worry about. Unless you also worry about being struck by lightning, stung by killer bees or eaten by a rapid possum.
Hmmm, interesting. Never heard of a "rapid" possum. Only slow ones to date.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I meant rabid. That b is right beside the p isn't it? :confused:

Go figure. It made me laugh really hard though when you pointed that out Sinc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts