Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where to slot this one but forgot there was this section.

Anyhow, I asked this once on Twitter in a more music production oriented stream, and got a few replies.

I find myself sitting in a chair day and night now - which was not the case previously, and my home chair is so brutal that it actually keeps me from doing work some days - or is discouraging me from it.

I've been looking around for some good chairs and also asking for recos. I had this one that was bad enough I could feel some pain in parts of my neck #posture!

Looking to see if there are some clients I deal with who might have some mega ergo chairs they might want to let go or trade for some quick work.

I've looked @ Herman Millers (mostly because they're close).

anyhow, recos?

·
}<-('o')-
9,753 Posts
My wallet complained bitterly, but my body told it to shut up because both the Herman Miller and the ErgoHuman chair in my house were well worth the prices paid. I never become uncomfortable or experience any pain from my (sometimes very lengthy) experiences with them.

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
I treated myself to the Humanscale Freedom chair a few years back. It's very interesting technology

Winner of ten design awards to date—including the Design Distinction Award in the prestigious ID Design Review 2000 competition—the Freedom chair by Niels Diffrient has revolutionized the task chair industry. Its weight-sensitive recline, synchronously adjustable armrests, and dynamically positioned headrest set new standards for task chair performance and functionality to keep the sitter exceptionally comfortable while also lowering the risk of long-term injury.
not cheap tho.

I might be convinced to part with mine as I rarely sit at a desk anymore and will be moving to Australia....there is nice MFT lens.....:D

Mine has a couple of upgrades in seat and arm rest.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
I have used a Aeron Chair from herman miller when I worked at 724 Solutions back in the crazy days of the .com boom. They provided every employee with one. I liked it allot but my wallet has not been able to be cracked open enough to buy one myself and I should.

·
Premium Member
42,439 Posts
Aeron's are frequently available on craigslist at a decent price, new and used.

My chair of choice:

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
How about what I use for my computer desk at home suggested by my physiotherapist to help my posture/core stabilization and reduce my dual herniated back pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I'm one of the lucky few who who splurged on a Herman Miller Embody chair for my home office (for when I'm stuck doing 16 hour video editing marathons). Yup, the $1500 bill did hurt. But you know what doesn't hurt? My back and my butt. I love my chair and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

(plus, let's face it... it's the most freakin' awesome looking chair ever made)

A7

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
When you think about it, some people base their car-buying experience on how the seating feels.

Yet they spend less time in the car than in a work chair.

Go figure?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
When you think about it, some people base their car-buying experience on how the seating feels.

Yet they spend less time in the car than in a work chair.

Go figure?
I'd assume the justification for that is you can't get out of your car and walk around if you get a cramp/pain. I mean, you could. But it would **** off a lot of people if you did it on the 401.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I'd assume the justification for that is you can't get out of your car and walk around if you get a cramp/pain. I mean, you could. But it would **** off a lot of people if you did it on the 401.
You can't do a 360 either, to blow-off steam, without taking the car with you.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
No thrusters required, it's transports you where ever you wish to go, at a mere thought.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I buy my chairs the same way I buy my computers - buy the absolute best I can afford at the time, and keep it forever (or until it is no longer comfortable, I guess). Sitting right now in a 20+ year old 'ObusForme' chair. Paid a ridiculous amount of money for it, but have never regretted it. Unfortunately ObusForme doesn't make full chairs anymore, and I can't vouch for the quality of the 'Global' chairs that now sport the 'ObusForme' name. I'd say the best thing to do would be to sit in one.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The problem with 'just sitting on one' is... like an earlier poster alluded to with the selection of a car, some of us at times can sit in a chair for hours, at different times of the day, with different levels of energy. What may feel great sitting in it for a few minutes may feel horrible after just 30 minutes, and what may feel terrible at first may have that combination of comfort and support that makes us feel great, even after sitting in the chair for hours.

I don't mind paying for quality, but how do you measure it in a chair?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The problem with 'just sitting on one' is... like an earlier poster alluded to with the selection of a car, some of us at times can sit in a chair for hours, at different times of the day, with different levels of energy. What may feel great sitting in it for a few minutes may feel horrible after just 30 minutes, and what may feel terrible at first may have that combination of comfort and support that makes us feel great, even after sitting in the chair for hours.

I don't mind paying for quality, but how do you measure it in a chair?
I agree, it's difficult. I can't imagine a chair store would be irritated if you showed up with a book and tried a few chairs for a while though.

I bought the Aeron after using one in an office for a few weeks. It was comfortable, adjustable, and the castors were great.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
My son was also provided with a Herman Miller Aeron® Chair where he worked several years ago and extolled its comfort. He said he never even had to get up and stretch anything, but a bit of a bite out of one's wallet.

My wife picked up a much cheaper knock-off replica from Costco I believe, and neither my son nor myself could sit in it comfortably for more than 10-20 minutes max!!

But it one has a bad/weak back, the Herman Miller Aeron® Chair is no doubt worth the price.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm one of the lucky few who who splurged on a Herman Miller Embody chair for my home office (for when I'm stuck doing 16 hour video editing marathons). Yup, the $1500 bill did hurt. But you know what doesn't hurt? My back and my butt. I love my chair and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

(plus, let's face it... it's the most freakin' awesome looking chair ever made)

A7

Man, that's starting to look like something from Star Trek! Aye, Captain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts