1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seagate External 750GB for $273!

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB / FireWire 400 / USB 2.0 / eSATA
at Dell for $273.00

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB / USB 2.0 ONLY!!!
at Futureshop for $429.99

What gives? Is there a difference between the drives that I'm missing that justifies the huge difference in cost? It appears at Dell, they give you more for less (man that was hard to say ;) ).

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Seagate has been playing silly buggers with pricing - all over the map.
That pretty sharp on the 750 BUT we're not sure of that case on the 750 tho there is a 5 year warranty.
We're pretty happy with the 320 version - good looking cool and quiet. We're pairing them up with the new iMacs.

I was ragging on the Seagate manager the other day for the gap between Canada and US pricing. Anyone no wanting to deal with Dell we can likely get the 750 in at that price point once I beat up distribution. :D

Tornado 750s in a FW800/esata etc 4 way case are more but will be more than double the speed and 800 gig arrays are faster yet and down to $388 with a fanned case.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got FS to PM Dell for the Seagate - think I ended up getting two 750Gb drives for about $240 each. Sweet deal.
Hi Mobyl. Can you let us know which Future Shop location you went to and ideally the name of the service person?

With thanks for your response!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mobyl. Can you let us know which Future Shop location you went to and ideally the name of the service person?

With thanks for your response!
I'll have to check the receipt to see if it has the Rep's name. I'll do that tonight.
Mind you, I tried to PM with FS Online first and they said no - something about Dell.ca not being an authorized reseller... so I went to the store instead.

Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll have to check the receipt to see if it has the Rep's name. I'll do that tonight.
Mind you, I tried to PM with FS Online first and they said no - something about Dell.ca not being an authorized reseller... so I went to the store instead.

Good luck.
Thanks for looking into it for me. I'd also like to clarify something, I just went online to the FS website and it seems that the Seagate 750GB FreeAgentPro that they sell does not have a firewire port. Is that correct? in which case it is a slightly different external drive from the one that Dell is selling. (No worries, none of us will mention that to FS if it is the case... your secret issafe with us.)

Here is the link to the FS website and the 750 GB Seagate they sell:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10087567&catid=

So, if you would be so kind as to let us know if the one you got came with a firewire connection or not...

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB / FireWire 400 / USB 2.0 / eSATA now at $258
Well I caved, I bought two and they are beauties! Dead silent, not too much heat. Free delivery and I got 'em in two days! By the way, did I say the drives were silent? ;) Connected via FireWire, copied over 400gigs in one shot and not one problem.

I can only assume the price drops were the result of our favourable exchange rate (Apple can learn from Dell if this is true).

·
Registered
389 Posts
What eSATA port on the MacBook Pro?
Ops! Talk about embarrassing, I meant the ExpressCard slot.

You would need something like the WiebeTech Expresscard/34 eSATA host card for MacBook Pros (or a similar product) in order to use that external drive.
Thanks! $100+. :eek: I'm really tempted, on the hard drive deal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well I caved, I bought two and they are beauties! Dead silent, not too much heat. Free delivery and I got 'em in two days! By the way, did I say the drives were silent? ;) Connected via FireWire, copied over 400gigs in one shot and not one problem.

I can only assume the price drops were the result of our favourable exchange rate (Apple can learn from Dell if this is true).
This feedback is appreciated.

One question though... How did you get free shipping? I called and asked about the unit and was told that there was a $15 shipping fee? Any insights?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts

Pics please? I prefer an actual picture than a rendering. Do they spin down when not in use?

Cheers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This feedback is appreciated.

One question though... How did you get free shipping? I called and asked about the unit and was told that there was a $15 shipping fee? Any insights?

Many thanks!
Go on the web site, add it to cart, and click the shipping calculator, you'll see it is free!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts