Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a question concerning a 2012 MacBook pro screen that occasionally goes stupid. can anyone tell me what it happening? Working away, then this, so holding the power button to reboot and it's ok. Thanks.

Computer Personal computer Product Computer monitor Peripheral

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kelman,

I remember this problem with an older MacBook. Check this thread, which at least provides some worthwhile dicussion of what you can try — even though no firm answer. The screen grab in the thread look like yours.

Thanks Macfury, I will have to check it out. It happens rarely right now but I want to see what I can do to stop it before it gets to be all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 2011s, this is a videocard problem. I have not seen it before in 2012s.

The videocard is soldered to the motherboard & there are no spare parts to replace it. My 2011 replaced videocards four times.

There's one option. The videocard can be unsoldered, costs about $200 if you can find somebody who knows what they're doing.

If the card is unsoldered, you're left with no brightness control. Wear shades & I bet the screen won't last as long. IMO, it's worth saving.
Thanks unblocktheplanet, I appreciate the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.