1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Oh boy, that got me salivating. To hear further confirmation that the dual 3ghz will be out this summer ... I can't wait. That will be my first Mac, and won't it be awesome!?

Any speculation by the more educated Mac-heads here as to what the price for this monster will be? As it stands, I'd be looking at $5500 for a dual 2ghz right now (including beautiful Apple monitor).

speed

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I'd imagine the dual 3 gigger will be a similar price to the current dual 2 gigger, certainly not more than 10% more when its released in September or so. Apple hasn't done as well as they expected in selling G5s (given the performance boost over G4s) and so there is some price pressure. The interesting thing is that the new 90 micron PPC 970FX draws a lot less power than the original 970 and so the elaborate cooling systems in the G5 rigs could be simplified (potentially saving money and space). This would allow a second form factor - an iMac all-in-one and/or a more compact G5 case. Then there's the PowerBook G5 that'll be here around the same time as the dual 3 GHz machine..... (probably with 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz single processors).

Yummy.....

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Oh sweet, thanks for the heads up.

I'm pretty sure it's a desktop I'll be getting, but the Mac laptops are miiiighty tempting as well. Clearly, I just need to win the lottery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts