Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, this article is very long and very very scary with plans that M$ wants to do with the world.

Read some of the sections abour broad band, entertainment and their own M$ PC....

http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html#mspath

If the link goes down I will create a PDF of it and post it on my site. If you think it's a good article, you should forward it on to as many people as you can and get them in the know.....

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I haven't reached the part you are referring to yet, but the bit on Longhorn is very interesting. The rollout seems like it will mean a HUGE opportunity for Apple because OS X is already well established and polished. By the sounds of it, MS will try and force a lot of extra costs onto users...something I don't think many people will want to go for.

And if MS is going to do away with "files," then OS X will look even more tempting to PC users because the Mac OS will look familiar...which Longhorn, according to this article, will not. Never mind the fact that OS X software will be tested-tried-and-true at that point, while MS developers will be scrambling to re-write their apps.

Wow...the future suddenly looks a little brighter for Apple. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Some ranting but also some very scary stuff :eek:

Office's main benefit for business (the major buyers) is that of total compatibility and the fact files are readable across platforms and versions. If this goes away, there will be significant turmoil and the frog may jump out of the pan before being boiled after all...

I jumped, about a year ago and only THEN realised the horror of an over-inegrated app (namely Outlook). Never again!

I am paying through lack of good and universal business apps (most are amateurish, poorly supported and certainly not available across platforms); but I wouldn't go back for the world!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
why in the freekin world would someone want to continue to use windows??? get with the program and RUN LIKE HELL from the evil BS of Microsloth..holy cow..if this is true...I am going to pursue even furthur that people drop the PC and switch to the mac or linux..does the future ever look bright in the pc world
sounds like someone needs to oust the dictator of the PC world...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I'm a bit sceptical. While I will give the writer full credits for having conducted some thorough research, he seems a little too eager to draw a detailed conclusion about what MS will release. The 2005-06 target for release is still a long way away from now, so perhaps it's a little early to be saying with certainty what Longhorn will be (i.e., no files, fee-based services, etc.)

While I'm hardly a fan of their operating system, the guys at MS aren't stupid. An operating system without backward compatibility would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one of my favourite parts from the paper:

"Microsoft also told the judge that making a modular version of Windows as desired by the States was all but impossible and would destroy the product, forcing them to withdraw Windows from the market. Now, starting with Windows 2003 Server and particularly future products, Microsoft's primary development thrust is to make their products modular. Did they lie to the judge?"

Wow, what a way to make yourself look like a complete ass of a company...

This part is good as well:

"Even Microsoft internal documents admit that, dsspite Windows' "point and click" interface, Windows server administration is more difficult and time consuming than with Unix/Linux (A15). Others have had similar results (C37). Compound this with constant security patches and a platform that crashes much more often and you start to see why you need more administrators."

Way to shoot yourself in the foot there M$.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
why in the freekin world would someone want to continue to use windows???
It's not about using Windoz, as everyone knows it just sucks! It's about the apps. Depending on what industry you work in you sometimes you have to operate in the evil empire in order to work properly, and you can say what you want sometimes the mac alternative is just not very good. And Linux while great for certain things has a long long way to go to ever becoming a desktop replacement.

As for MS taking over the world, well can you imagine what would happen if MS stopped supporting all versions of it's OS? Just stopped OS dev all together tomorrow? It would be like the oil companies saying, 'ya you're right, solar is the way to go. we're gonna stop producing crude as of tomorrow.'

Chaos would be everywhere....... It's like a bad movie man ;) Gates must go to bed just giggling his goofy ass off every night...stupid humans

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
It seems to me that Apple is trying to make inroads into the enterprise/business market with their excellent Xserve and Xserve RAID products. They are hard to resist for value and quality. So if you convert IT you're part of the way into opening the door for your products in the rest of the organization. Good move!

Combine this with MS wavering with Longhorn and they are poised to make great inroads...if they play their cards right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts