Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Farewell Performa 5200CD, I'm buying and iBook this weekend (I hope).

Since I'll probably buy a low-end scanner too (my girlfriend is a teacher and want to scan some photos in books for presentations), I'm wondering if the images can be downloaded directly into iPhoto.

Question may be stupid, but the last OS I've used is 8.1

Also, since she's a teacher, we should be able to buy the academic version of Office (I know, I know... but she doesn't want a Mac unless she can use Word and PowerPoint...). Do you know if we have to bring a proof of her occupation at the store? Do Bmac sells the academic version of software?

Thanks to all. Hope's this iBook rocks...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most scanners ship with software that will help you edit and store your scanned images. I just checked and you can import some common picture formats into iPhoto. I tried both GIF and JPEG and they worked flawlessly. iPhoto slide shows are a snap to set up and you can easily add your own music.

There has been a problem with scanners in OS X. Originally there was no support for TWAIN (a software standard developed for programs to access scanners directly). Between Photoshop 7 & Jaguar, that problem has been taken care of however there are still a lot of scanners out there that won't work in OS X.

Most new scanners are compliant or else they've got their own way of bringing in images – for example Canon has a program that installs as a Photoshop plug-in or into any program that supports Photoshop plug-ins and Hewlett Packard uses a program called PrecisionScan Pro. (See MacWorld, Mar 03, p.55. Welcome Back, by David Weiss, - unfortunately I couldn't find it online).

As to your software inquiry, I have found that most places will order in academic versions of software for you however they rarely have them in stock (unless of course it's a university book store) and you will need ID to make a purchase. As an alternative I have made purchases at Studica . They have a wide selection of academic software, however once again you will be required to substantiate your academic status.

:cool: Enjoy the iBook. My daughter has one and she swears she'll never part with it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My iBook is home and I feel like a new man!

With 384 of RAM, I found this iBook fast enough for me.

I'm beginning to learn to use Mac OS X, since it's quite new to me.

Also bought a printer and a scanner (refurbished Epson 1260 : only 70 $, taxes included! 1 year warranty!)

I still have some questions on the scanner.

First, the TWAIN driver on the CD is not OS X compliant. It must launch on classic mode :mad: On the Epson website, there's a driver OS X compliant (up to 10.2.3). Since 10.2.4 came preinstalled on the computer, will this driver works?

Also, since I don't like the softwares (they also launch in classic mode) that came with the scanner, what would be an inexpensive way to capture (Image capture software that is in Mac OS X?) and edit the images (mainly resizing and some enhancement - brightness, etc.)?

Finally, I have a problem with image size. I scanned a 4 x 6 photo at 2400 dpi (no reduction: I was supposed to obtained a 4 x 6 image). But the image was too big (I found out it was a 9600 x 14 400 photography (4 inches x 2400 dots per inche) x (6 x 2400)! : about 8 times my screen resolution!). If I scan a 4 x 6 photo, what should I do to obtain a 4x6 photo when it's printed? I'm confused

Love the iBook. Already in love with it! :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the same scanner and Epson has OS X drivers on their website...don't have a direct link but you should be able to find them pretty easily.

Haven't tried scanning into iPhoto as I use Photoshop which works great with this scanner.

Epson suggests using the Image Capture app (from Apple) which comes with your iBook in the applications folder.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The epson driver will work and should let you play with scanned material in OSX. As live4ever has already suggested, vuescan. This would be my first download. You are scanning at too high a resolution. Try scanning the picture below 300dpi. I think 150dpi should be enough. If I remember correctly, your screen is about 75dpi. Good luck and enjoy the new ibook.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all.

Mac Java, I tried to scan at 300 dpi, but the image is simply not good.

Retrocactus, have you tried to scan a photography at 300 dpi with any good results?

Maybe it's my OS 9 driver... no?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with Mac Java, scanning at a lower resolution seems to work for me. Screen resolution is 72dpi and for most of my stuff, I just use 150-200.

The differences between dpi when referring to printers vs screen vs scans is confusing and best left to someone that understands it better than me.

I suspect it may be your OS 9 driver as 150dpi should work perfectly. It may also depend on the viewing resolution of the scan...keep in mind that unless you are looking at the image at 100%, you may see artifacts from whatever viewer you're using that compresses the image to fit on the screen.

Use Preview and make sure you are viewing it in "Actual Size" to truly see what it looks like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
At 72 dpi your image ought to look good at 100% onscreen. Printed, this would not be adequate (probably closer to 300 dpi would make more sense, depending on the printer) but if you are preparing stuff to send as e-mail you need to find the minimum size that still looks good.

Here's a suggestion. Check your image capture program for a descreening filter. If it's there and not checked, your images will look like something from the local newspaper.

By the way I use Vuescan for my older model scanner, but it does cost a bit. I'm just guessing, but your scanner performance should be pretty impressive as is.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again. The mac community is really helpful.

I think I'll just delete the OS 9 driver and wait until I get my Internet connection (I'm writing from work)to download the right driver. Hope it won't be too long.

By the way, I just bought an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 ADSL modem. Anyone have this model? Does it work great?

Regards,

Ingenu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts