Votes: 33 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 73 68.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess for many of you this is not a big deal, but I saw my first actual iPhone in Vancouver at the Granville Island Market yesterday. I glimpsed a young woman slipping one into her pocket and I asked "Excuse me, is that an iPhone?"

She proudly said "Yes it is!" and proceeded to show it to me and chat about it for a couple of minutes." Being a polite Canadian, I didn't ask to hold it myself. ;)

The screen looked great, it was reacting quite fast to her input and moving from vertical to horizontal.

She said she was very happy with it. She bought it in San Francisco and used it a bit in Canada with roaming, while here on a trip, but decided that was too expensive and was just using it in wifi mode.

Experiencing severe gadget envy ... I bought a cool new electronic guitar tuner which will have to do for now. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
She said she was very happy with it. She bought it in San Francisco and used it a bit in Canada with roaming, while here on a trip, but decided that was too expensive and was just using it in wifi mode.
You will see many people doing this. In urban centres, it's more than adequate, and the thrill I get from not paying a dime for surfing and email on my iphone in downtown Toronto and being "off the grid" so to speak is sweet indeed.

Soon I'll have my puppy unlocked with my $40 a month unlimited CityFido plan, and will do my data at wifi hotspots for free. In the meantime, I love the freedom!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I had friends up for the Stampede, and they brought their iPhone. The roaming was too expensive, so they were making the occasional phone call, and using wifi. I tried out the interface.. it was pretty slick.

I decided as nice as it was, I didn't want one right away. I'm waiting for when it's ACTUALLY released in Canada, by then they'll probably be on the second generation, and I'll get more use out of it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What has surprised me the most is that EVERYONE seems to know what the iPhone is....even in Canada where we haven't exactly been inundated with TV ads for it like in the U.S.

I try not to flash it around but while taking some pictures of family in a restaurant (in Kelowna over the weekend), the waitress knew what it was and asked about it, then a steady stream of restaurant staff did the 'drive by' to see it.

To me, this is a breakthrough device - both technically and from a marketing perspective, where even non-geeks quickly know what it is and are interested in seeing it in action.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was playing with an iPhone Yesterday

My wife and I are on a long weekend trip to Ocean Shores out west of Olympia Washington and we stopped off at South Center Mall in Seattle yesterday and I had a chance to play with the iPhone at the Apple store in the mall.

****WOW***** I thought the demo that Steve did and the videos on the Apple web site made it look great, but it is a true thing of beauty to hold and use.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
My wife and I are on a long weekend trip to Ocean Shores out west of Olympia Washington and we stopped off at South Center Mall in Seattle yesterday and I had a chance to play with the iPhone at the Apple store in the mall.

****WOW***** I thought the demo that Steve did and the videos on the Apple web site made it look great, but it is a true thing of beauty to hold and use.
I have played with a few of them over the last few weeks in Florida and I concur!

·
Registered
190 Posts
i've got to agree...saw a few in san francisco, and spent about 1/2 hr playing with them in the apple store as well. incredible. even without the ipod functionality it's still an amazing device.

still surprised nobody has managed to unlock one yet. probably be available here by the time somebody does.

·
Registered
127 Posts
iPhone

Picked mine up last week in New York, 5th Avenue. Not only is the store amazing the phone is absolutley fun fan tastic. Took a bit of work but now piggy backs off Rogers on Play as you go plan. Very sweet. Sorry haven't been one of those "wait for Canada kinda guys". Pictures are posted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
aloe of reading lol

as this site is nor the the place or forum for this type of discussion. But the answer lays in scripting and hex editor sfoftware. Please feel free to pm me or u can google search a variety sites that cover programming for iphone. The developer sdk contains assistance also download from apple

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was in New York City last week on honeymoon, and just "happened" to walk passed the 5th Ave store with the wife...she knows I love my Mac products, so she graciously allowed me to go inside and look. I made the mistake of playing with the iPhone and calling it sexy after about 10 seconds holding it - big no no - as that resulted in "why don't you call me sexy?". It took plenty of sweet talk - and trips to non-Apple stores - to get out of that one!

Oh, and I saw a few people using them in the store, around the city and at La Guardia airport.

As an aside, it's amazing how many people were in the store, just playing, as well as the SoHo store. I almost bought a macbook, but will probably get one via the refurb store instead (same place as I got my mini and 2nd gen Shuffle). Once I've paid off the wedding and her shoe bill...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Waiting for the iPhone without the Phone...

As excited as I am about the iPhone's interface and for it to come to Canada, I have to look at the situation from a practical perspective. Data plans in Canada are outrageous, and to have an iPhone would end up costing over $2000 for two years, at Rogers' rates. So, why can't we have the iPhone without the Phone (call it the "i" :p)? Keep the Wifi, keep the internet communication aspect and keep the PDA functionality, and there you have a device that I would buy the instant it came out. I'm not one to get tangled in data plans and phone contracts and cellular rates, and I like to keep my phone and iPod and PDA separate...but, if Apple ever released an iPhone without the Phone, I would be more than happy to give up the PDA and iPod for the sake of convergence.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just held my first one one Salt Spring Island (rip MacNutt) during a family reunion this past week. My American cousin's wife just bought one and I used it for about 10 minutes. The weight is the first beautiful thing about it. The GUI is stunning. The keyboard worked perfectly with the very first sentence I typed. It behaves like an Apple would.

I want one, again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.