Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a way to download and save the flash portion of a website to be played like a QT movie or on any web browser software when my mac is not connected to the internet.
the idea is to load the flash intro of my website into my powerbook for me to do presentations on the road while an internet connection is not available.
i am sure this can be done, help please?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Download the .swf file in question. If you have a .swf file you can open it up in QuickTime.

If you need to download the movie, what you need to do is find the source, and find the URL of the .swf file. Then you can save the .swf file by pointing your browser to the flash animation itself and then choosing save as... or by going into the Terminal and typing "curl URLOFSWF > NAMEOFFILE", where URLOFSWF is the URL of the Flash animation and NAMEOFFILE is what you want it named. It will be saved in your home folder. That will download the .swf to your computer where you can now access it.

Hope this helps some

EDIT: Fixed curl command. Too used to wget I guess. Curl sends the data to your screen rather then a file by default.

[ January 11, 2004, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Nice Chealion, I was just about to mention the same, sans the unix code however. That sounds so good though.

H!

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
There's much easier way to get at the content... Make an alias to /private/tmp/ and put it on your dock (or whereever).

The Shockwave and Quicktime files (if you have the "save movies in cache" option enabled) will be in there, but their filenames will all start with "WebkitPlugInStream" followed by a series of numbers.

The documents will have blank icons. There may be several, so guess by size which are likely to be the media file you want.

Drag them to the Desktop and rename them as "filename.swf" or "filename.mov" depending on what you know they should be.

M

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great, these solutions sounds good.
i'll give it a try. thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts