Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car stereo's cassette deck bit the dust. My local Ford dealer wanted $650 to put in a CD changer.

So I thought of buying an iPod and iTrip.

Wrote to the iTrip makers, and said what a shame it was that they did not make an iTrip for the iBook.

They wrote me back, telling me that they do not advertise it, but the iTrip works perfectly with an iBook.

And it does. No need to buy an iPod (sorry Carbon), my iBook rocks!

And FYI, buying a power cord for the car for my iBook was over $100. But buying a brick converter at Canadian Tire was under $40. And I decided to...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
That sounds cool, but did the guy tell you how to set the broadcast frequency through iTunes...the same way you do when using an iPod?

I am very curious to hear the answer to that.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
so you have your lap on driving around?? :confused: Not sure. You won't be carrying your iBook around then. I still like the fact that I can carry the music with me on a walk etc. I also do like the op to be able to charge the lap in the car. but the iTrip w/ the iBook? so so on that... I'd have to try that 1st, but still... Post a picture if you can.

H!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hm. Yeah. What OHenri said. You can just get a tape adapter, or just run a direct line in to a new CD player which probably has RCA line-ins on it. The iTrip is just an expensive FM transmitter with a stereo miniplug, which you can buy from any Radio Shack.

I can't imagine how tempting an iBook on balanced on the front seat of my car would be to a thief.

Here's a better solution - just get a CD player with MP3 playback capability. Then you can get the super-long-play from your iBook without having to strap it into a baby carrier.

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Too bad they don't have an iTrip that would fit with a regular Mac. From the looks of it, it could pose a problem if one were to say try it with a iMac G4. ;)

I've been looking around for something like this for regular Macs so I could play music through my home's stereo in the kitchen or living room.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Interesting...so I guess it should work with my 12" Al book?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
The iTrip should work on anything capable of playing the mp3 tuning files, as long as it can physically connect.

I'm pretty sure my iPod is smaller than an iBook, though!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iTrip works via iTunes, so it works fine with the iBook. I don't have a problem with it being in the car, because I have a case and the computer either goes into the trunk or with me. I drove back tonight with a couple of friends from Niagara Falls, and having iTunes belt out the music while the nifty screen effect was happening was "way cool".

As I stated earlier, by cassette has screwed up, so I can't use that adapter, the FM was the way to go.

I can charge the iBook while iTunes/iTrip is doing its thing. Not a worry there. And I can tune the iTrip via iTunes, just like on a iPod (I assume)

My friends were very impressed with my ubergeek status.

As for home use, the iTrip is too underpowered. Better to have a cable.

·
Registered
933 Posts
FWIW, after finding out my Ti 550 fits v. snugly b/w the arm rests of my Sienna, I got also bought the $40 AC/DC converter from CT and picked up a tape adapter from Radio Shack.

Saved me a bundle on a DVD player to keep the kids quiet on long trips (and of course it also doubles as an iPod too).

... and before the nervous nellies get all fired up again ... I also strapped on some thin "shock" cords to add a bit of restraint in the event of a sudden deceleration.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I originally had the iTrip with my iPod but I got sick of the interference and having to change the station when I went from city to city or just the static in my digital tunes :(

I bought this cd player CD/MP3/line-in and now i just plug my iPod into the deck and I have 100% digital sound with zero interference.

This really is a better solution than the iTrip and it is totally worth the extra $200, I got the deck installed for $250.00

Parousia

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Parousia got it - for me anyhow. I already hate having to out my lap in my trunk when I park - I just could not imagine having to pwr down, an put the unit away AND bring it back to ride again. Been looking at a few units that do the MP3/CD/Aux IN. THAT makes the most sense for me. Wait until the Police start seeing people trying to tend to a Laptop while driving...

as to keeping the kids calm with the lap? Maybe on a long trip - maybe. Just feel funny about all of these variants of Lap use.

H!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Oh a laptop and kids on a long trip - on any trip is de rigeur around here. Even when my little guy was a restless 5 he would stay absorbed in Disney stuff on the portable and time went by peacably and quickly.
With cheap inverters there is no battery issue and the iBooks do everything at destination when you take a small pair of speakers with you. From games to music to storing the pictures Mac portables are just terrific travel companions.
Two kids but one portable can = problems so make sure there are other "diversions" :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts