1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
406 Posts
One of our local loggers actually has it in two of his machines and the operators are very impressed. The Radio in the central interior of BC is very spotty at the best of times so this makes for a very attractive option. :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
macdoc,

Are you talking about XM Radio or Sirus?

If so, I tried getting a subscription for my dad for christmas and after some research, I fond out that you cannot get it in Canada.

This is due to the CRTC dictating to us what we can and cannot listen to. They want us to listen to Canadian content (which I'm not opposed to) as well as Canadian advertisments.

So we loose out because once Again the CRTC has too much power over our lives. If I want to subscribe to a service that has little or no advertising, then where's the harm in that? I'm all for preserving the Cnaadian way, but at wht expense? I mean, if I want to watch the U.S ads during the Superbowl, I can't because the CRTC dictates that the Canadian feed has to be broadcast over the U.S. feed. So in that case our only option is to use Rabbit ears or get Direct TV.

Sorry for the rant. This subject gets me going.

BTW, my brother in law in Texas has XM Radio and I must say it is awsome! Anything you want to listen to is probably on. I went in to get a pizza and he said he was going to find Gordon Lightfoot and when I came back to the truck, Gordon was playing.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Correct, the reason why you can't watch what you want or listen to what you want is because of the CRTC!

Next time, vote for the Aliance, and get rid of the CRTC!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Umm, just a little heads up on Satellite Radio in Canada.

Blame the FTC if you want, but the CRTC was light-years ahead on this issue.

Canada has had Satellite Radio for years. Didn't know it? Neither does anybody else.

Go down to your favorite electronics store and buy one if you want.

Canada adopted the standard used worldwide on sat radio about 5 years ago. Stations have been broadcasting since then. Nobody listens.

The FTC waffled on sat radio for years, and finally adopted a system that is incompatible with every sat radio broadcaster and reciever used worldwide.

Get one in your car, drive to Calgary, England, Germany, Tokyo or Botswanna. It will work. If you want to listen to US stations, you need a reciever compatible with the XMS system adopted a couple of months or so ago in the US.

I was listening to BBC World news and some Vancouver rock station on sat radio 5 years ago while at work in the far north.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
A correction:
Canada didn't adopt the worldwide standard for SatRadio about 5 years ago.
The world adopted Canada's proposal for a SatRadio standard in 1992.

The idea was that ALL AM & FM radios would be all-digital on a new frequency band by 2006, whereupon the AM & FM bands would be free for other uses, and would be re-allocated.

The US media companies (who get whatever they ask for from Congress or in this case, the FCC) balked; they wanted to maintain the separate analog AM & FM formats, and wanted to move to a subscriber-pay format for digital radio.

Unfortunately, this leaves Canada in an ironic and tenuous position. AM & FM radio from the US will prevent re-allocation of those frequencies in Canada, which begs the question as to why we should bother with converting to all-digital radio in the first place.

XMS Radio is looking forward to coralling Canadian listeners to it's user-pay model, as compared to the free, public model that would have existed othewise. Don't for a moment think that the US was not very interested in increasing it's media's audience in Canada, and this was a perfect opportunity to do so.

Canada's choice now is to:
a)set up user-pay digital radio (like in the US, but incompatible with the US system *) or:
b)to move to a free, all-digital band as first proposed and empty the AM & FM airwaves of our radio signals (which would make US stations very easy to recieve anywhere in North America), or:
c) tell our radio stations to forget the whole thing, sorry.

Basically, we're Apple and they're Microsoft.

* The US has insured we cannot compete with their system, by allocating an incompatible radio band for their SatRadio systems. Basically, they waited until everybody on Earth had agreed to a system, then set about insuring their incompatible system would dominate North America. They did the same thing for HDTV (actually they're still waffling a bit on that one; expect a swift incompatible format adopted if Canada ever picks one first).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.