Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care about the costs, but I can't live with dialup anymore (24k-26.4k!)

I live in Thunder Bay, ON, and need a solution.

The only option I can think of is Bell Expressvu, and getting a PC, and ISP, etc.

Is this my only option?

I've owned a Mac my whole life, and I would have no idea regarding buying a PC.

Help. Somebody please WALK me through a solution in which I can still use my mac.
(Or God forgive me...getting rid of my mac to get highspeed.)

Thanks in advance, Alex

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Current SatNet systems use a hardware/software combination to access the data. The software component is Windows-only.

Dumping your Mac and getting a Windows box isn't your only option, though. If It were me, I would buy an el-cheapo used Windows box and network that to the Mac.

Probably a 200+ Mhz P1 or better would do it (accessing and distributing the 'net is nothing as far as the speed/performance required goes, but you want to be able to run Win98SE or Win2K at reasonable speeds).

You may as well make that your firewall while you're at it. A separate (hardware) firewall is an excellent method to maintain security. Since we're now talking a computer without real user interaction, you could explore home security and/or monitoring (eg flood warning) as some other tasks for the thing.

All you really nead is an old generic Windows box with 2 Ethernet cards installed. You should be able to pull that off for less than $200, and if you try a bit you may be able to find the computer itself for free. 2 network cards will run you about $40 for both.

It would be a bit of work to configure but any decent Windows guy would know how to do it. Just tell him to configure it like it was sharing the connection with another Wintel machine because he will probably freak if he hears the "M-word".

Configuring the Mac varies depending on the OS, but in general it's pretty straightforward; if you're running Jag then Rendezous should find it and go with perhaps no effort on your part.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't firewall anything with windoz, that's like filling your back seat with gas and hoping it makes it to the engine.

Linux or Unix please.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
David,
I am in a similary situation as I want to get internet hooked up at my cottage.
I currently have Bell satellite for t.v. and they also only have Windows only subcontractors for internet connectivity.

I don't know how well VPC would fare since it is considerably slower than the Mac OS it resides on.

Looks like I'll have to build a Windows PC out of the spare parts I have here lying around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey! I have a PCI SMC ethernet card for PC that's gathering dust. It's free, just pay for shipping. Send me your area code so I can figure shipping costs.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i have 3 x D-Link 10/100 PCI ethernet cards and 2 x Asanté 10/100 PCI ethernet cards in stock.
the m/b for the PC I am building has ethernet on board.
Thanx for the offer though.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... Gord would VPC solve this? ..."

VPC might do it, but using a PC as your local gateway would be much faster (ie your Mac will run the 'net and what goes along with it [QuickTime, PDFs, etc] at native speed, just like it was directly connected). When a network like this works, it's seamless to the Mac user.

As for cost effectiveness, VPC seems a more expensive solution for less performance, generally putting it at the bottom of the list I would make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts