Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is moving to the boonies, and there is no high-speed internet.
Anyone know anything about satellite high speed internet?
We are in Nova Scotia...
thanks-
ryan

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have no real benchmarks for the speed of satellite internet, however my in-laws have it at their house which is 45 minutes north of Ottawa. I've been using highspeed for the last 10+ years and I would compare their Xplorenet satellite internet to being about half the speed of my current bell Sympatico. It's fine for most websites, but does take some time, and anything with lots of photos sucks ass.

All in all it is better than dial-up but the start up costs and service is the killer. Maybe the costs are better, but my in-laws bought the dish and all the components straight up and they claimed it was something ridiculous like $1200 which I think is slightly exaggerated. Don't quote me on the price, and I have always thought they just couldn't add but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My sister is moving to the boonies, and there is no high-speed internet.
Anyone know anything about satellite high speed internet?
We are in Nova Scotia...
thanks-
ryan
You should find out if either the Bell or Rogers products work. While they are not satellite, they are wireless and I believe that they are using them to fill in the empty pockets where traditional cable/dsl service doesn't exist.

One thing I remember from looking at satellite, they used to require a phone connection and the uplink was by phone, the downlink was by satellite. So either you tie up your existing phone line, or you pay for a second line.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
My friend in Lunenburg uses Bell's XplorNet satellite service. For surfing, etc., it's more than adequate, but be advised that there may be issues with VOIP and with real-time chat. We've never been able to make an iChat audio or video connection over her satellite link - the latency is too great.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am using XplorNet right now, as I type this message. For the most part it is pretty reliable, and while it isn't hi-speed compared to my Rogers Extreme connection I have in Toronto, the medium speeds I get here in the highlands of Haliburton are adequate enough for my daily use. The connection is shared amongst 20 different users and while we were advised in advance to not expect the ability to VOIP, do online gaming (or poker) and P2P, only the P2P threat has occured, as VOIPing and gaming have been fine (even my remote desktop has worked well). Its a pricey service but it does work well (and has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee)

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.