Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing this or heard if this is possible? Any information or links would be great!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yes, it's possible! I read an article about that in the latest Macworld issue. However, this type of "high-speed" internet is slower than "normal" high-speed internet. The highest download rate is something is like 330k/sec, and 120k/sec upload time. It's also impossible to have live "video chatting" or multiplayer gaming, because it takes a longer time to send data to and from the satelite, and when playing multiplayer games, your computer constantly sends updating data to the person you connect to, and with satelite, it's too slow to constantly feed that data. About the only downside to it - as well it's more expensive - l forget exactly, but like $70 + a month and a massive setup fee?

I forget the company that offered this service, but I'll check and post it here. It was available to both U.S and Canadian citizens.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i researched this a while ago
in canada you can check with, cough, Bell ExpressVu - but remember it's not really Bell you are talking to, so be prepared for even worse than bad Bell service
you have been warned

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have received promises of satellite service coming soon from Starchoice. How soon? Well, they've been telling me this for 2 years now. LinCsat is currently functional and supports Macs! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts