Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Samsung. Having printer issues since I got my new iMac 3.4 GHz core i7 OS10.8.2
Since switching to the iMac my Samsung CLX-3305FW only seems to print in black and white and gets grainy on hi-res stuff. (Lack of) tech support at Samsung just told me it may not not work with iMac but should work with the laptop.
Has anyone ever heard such stuff?

Tested printer again with my new MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with same OS and had the same problem. (I used to run an older iBook)
When I tried to open the uninstaller from their driver I got the spinning beach ball of time wasting.
Note: The printer is new and has only printed a couple dozen pages so it can't be out of toner.
Suggestions?:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
You mention the printer is new - can you take it back and get one from a more compatible manufacturer? Brother, Xerox and Epson come to mind.

If Samsung hasn't updated their drivers for 10.8, there's an excellent chance it just won't work.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
That could very well be the reason, I'm glad you could figure that one out all on your own.
Hmmm...??? And all on my own?, I don't think so thanks with your too frequent personal condescending reply posts.

I posted in case you, and more for the benefit of the OP and their "non-Apple supported" Samsung model printer, didn't understand the reason for the update notice you received.

And to be a bit more blunt, I don't know why you even posted for a completely different Samsung model that you are using. Quite a different model than what the OP has and not really a useful Mac help users comment IMHO. Amen.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a few attempts at their (lack of) tech support they informed me that their drivers are not compatible with the new OS especially on iMac.
Save your money and avoid this brand. Off to return the P.O.S.

Anyone have a colour laser printer they are using with success on OS 10.8.2 ?
Looking for printer/scanner combo

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
Anyone have a colour laser printer they are using with success on OS 10.8.2 ?
Yes as mentioned earlier, my Samsung CLX 3175

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes as mentioned earlier, my Samsung CLX 3175
Thanks but their lack of support on one model (also beginning with CLX) makes me not trust them anymore

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
The Brother units seem to be one of the best for Mac support in my experience and one the best for keeping up to date with any software.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Brother units seem to be one of the best for Mac support in my experience and one the best for keeping up to date with any software.
Thanks pm-r

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying the Brother Laser all in one combo MFC-9325CW. First time I've plugged in a printer to my machine and it automatically went online to download the latest driver. Seems to work fine so far

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Good for you, icemakk. But yikes, have we gotten down to having to download drivers in Mac OSX? Seems more like a Windows thing to me!
Apple take care & stay thinking different- or else... Hate to think of it...
Once I have to start downloading drivers I might as well go Hackintosh, excuse my French (avec aucune intention d'insulter la communauté Francophone, biensûr. Après tout, je vis en Belgique... And I thoroughly enjoy being your guest).

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
Good for you, icemakk. But yikes, have we gotten down to having to download drivers in Mac OSX? Seems more like a Windows thing to me!
Apple take care & stay thinking different- or else... Hate to think of it...
Once I have to start downloading drivers I might as well go Hackintosh, excuse my French (avec aucune intention d'insulter la communauté Francophone, biensûr. Après tout, je vis en Belgique... And I thoroughly enjoy being your guest).

Hmmm... and maybe it's your French translation and understanding of how recent Mac OS X versions work, and if you had done some checking or homework you would have found that the OS X doesn't always install everything, just in case a user might need something, as Windows OS often does.

OS X just downloads the latest drivers that are sometimes required or suggested, and if even needed which is also an option, which saves a LOT of surplus hard drive data clutter and keeps things working easily for the user.

Maybe do some Mac OS X checking and research before posting such comments next time. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Dear pm-r, it was not at all my intention to antagonize anyone on this great forum, least of all you! Maybe I've overreacted a bit.
But it has been brought to my attention lately that software developers for OSX have been getting in trouble because of unnecessary secrecy on Apple's part. For example, those who have to develop drivers for USB Core Audio devices: source code had been restricted or secret for at least a year now. Only recently has it been declassified again. This has probably to do with an impending convergence of OSX and IOS, but still it does not seem too nice to me to keep source code away from devs, leaving them utterly handicapped.
Thence my irritation which I will try to keep from venting here from now on, rest assured.
As to my knowledge of the workings of OSX: though I am still running Tiger, Leopard and Snow, I try to keep my reading up. And indeed when installing the OS, I never install all drivers present, of course.
Moreover, it is the responsibility of third party manufacturers to deliver useable drivers for Mac OSX. I've known of some Canon all-in-one PSC combinations for which you need to install separate scanner as well as printer drivers. Not very elegant.
That said, it is Apple's responsibility to provide the developers with enough source code for them to be able to do their jobs well. And as said before, my fear is that Apple has been getting overly secretive or protective in this matter. Macs have always been relatively wonderfully plug-n-play, lets keep it that way,please!
Hope this is adequate as an explanation and an apology.
BTW: I am Dutch speaking and run an English OS... French is my 3rd language.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
No problem hexdiy, if fact part of what you said about printer drivers is partially true.

Case in point is the HUGE HP software update bundle that Software Update occasionally suggests to install for my old HP printers. I've since told Software Update to ignore it as there were never any updates for the software I need or use. My God, the HP bundle includes software for nearly every printer device they ever released, including an image of each one as well. Talk about bloat, but I have removed nearly all unnecessary HP stuff.

I don't know much about Apple code etc.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Thank you pm-r, hope we are back on track!
I don't know much about Apple code etc.
Me neither, really. But being a tecchie and having friends who do, I get briefed about once a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts