Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
You could just build yourself a local DNS server for the the OSX Box to do reverse lookups on. There is also a situation with Samba being in the same domain or workgroup as that of the windows boxes. It has nothing to do with static or manual IP settings but the general notion in networking is that servers generally have a static IP setting.

Make sure that on your linksys router you have ports 137 - 139 open for windows file sharing.

If that fails, you can drop down in the terminal and vi or pico the /etc/smb.conf file to tweak your settings for network connectivity....

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
Hey everyone,

I find that the Samba has it's problems. When I try to connect to my lone PC here at home, there is no problem. I get a clean connection to it.

But, I have a buddy with a network of four machines running XP. And every single time, no fail, when I try to connect to his machine on the network using a Linksys router and SMB it kernels my machine.

I got a kernel tonight, and it took forever for my machine to reboot.

What gives, does anyone else have the same problems i.e. XP and SMb do not like each other.

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got one customer with 2 XP systems on an OS X Server (ther other clients are a mixture of W2K, OS X and OS 9 machines). XP works but MS must have changed something with CIFS in XP because its a bit wonky connecting. No pannics mind you, just not smooth as the others. I can't offer more details since I'm assuming your using OS X client but Samba is the same on both OS X client and server.

Have you got all the software updates?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
What gives, does anyone else have the same problems i.e. XP and SMb do not like each other.

I've had Mac OS X and XP play nicely together (on a variety of different networks to boot), so I doubt it's an issue with either Mac OS X or XP. The only problem I've had in the past is that if there isn't a DNS server on the network, then Mac OS X can't resolve hostnames that XP can; thus, if you want to connect to an XP machine, you have to specify an IP address, not a hostname.

HTH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.