Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maury at RailHead Design actually posted a screenshot that he took Tuesday morning of Safari using tabs.

Can't wait! Dont know if it will be able to replace Chimera just yet though.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
can beta shareware be illegal?

just wondering.....

p.s. it does have tabbed browsing

·
Registered
237 Posts
The short answer is "Yes". You've got 0 (zero) rights to any sort of internal builds. It doesn't matter if the company is giving away the software or charging for it, no license for that version means no rights.

As a side note, at one place I worked, someone was acting as a "ultra-peer' because we had a nice big pipe to the internet. After he was fired for illegal use of communications equipment, I got a call from tech support asking me about some feature or other that wasn't working according to an end user. The person that got fired was sharing our internal builds.

And to make matters worse, some reviewer got a leaked build. Communications and marketing spent no end of time convincing the reviewer that it was an internal build and not an final release, and that was why things weren't finished or buggy.

Why don't we wait for them to finish the software? Huh?

John

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
For the next update of Safari, what do you think will be in the updates?
According to the grapevine, the latest not-so-legal version (v62) include autofill and tabs... Haven't seen it as I'll wait for Apple to release, although its very tempting to get it...

Any thoughts? I did not write down the link nor did I download it for those who care.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Safari update today in software update!

This is the same build name as the 'pirated one above'

...but there is not any tab functionality in either, :(

must have been a hoax

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dibenga:

must have been a hoax
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's strange - no update in Software Update or on the Apple web site. Must be a hoax, as well. ;)

The last update is dated 2-12-03.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

must have been a hoax
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see Safari in my software update or on Apple.com.

To get the tabs, you have to enable the debug menu. This can be done by using either Safari Enhancer or by running a choice terminal command (which is something along the lines of "write com.apple.safari.plist includedebugmenu 1", but dont use that, go to MacOSXHints.com and find the right one).

--PB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The tabbed browsing in v62 requires to be turned on under the Debug menu at the bottom. But it's there...

:cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Low and behold, someone has emailed a nifty little trick to me, that I think would be quite valuable to one who has hunted and found the latest Safari beta with tabbed browsing. As this email says, tabbed browsing is not automatically enabled in Safari but you have to take the following steps to activate the debug menu.

1. While Safari is not running, write this in the terminal: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

2. Start Safari (Beta .62) and choose "Tabbed Browsing" in the debug menu.

3. Command-T will open a new tab as will right clicking on a link and choose "Open link in new tab". Command-W will close the tab you are currently using. Command-clicking will open a link in a new tab.

Enjoy!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"Well lars
the update is their and works fine thru update
so this is not a hoax - do you live in a negitive world or what?????? Try and have a possitive attitude about things (oh buy the way those who live in glass houses should not through stones) food for thought"

I don't see it in Software Update or on the Apple web site - am I missing something here? You can't assume what I see and what I I don't see. All Software Update lists for me is 'iMovie 3' and 'iPhoto 2.'

·
Registered
16 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
"Well lars
so this is not a hoax - do you live in a negitive world or what?????? Try and have a possitive attitude about things (oh buy the way those who live in glass houses should not through stones) food for thought"

I don't see it in Software Update or on the Apple web site - am I missing something here? You can't assume what I see and what I I don't see. All Software Update lists for me is 'iMovie 3' and 'iPhoto 2.'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The update just popped up in update menu all by its self. Not sure why you can't see it but it is their and it is posted on Apple. Now are you sure you are not plugged into a PC machine ??

The only prob i see is that the tabs must be selected for each page you open, when they can auto select i think it will rock.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

That's strange - no update in Software Update or on the Apple web site. Must be a hoax, as well. ;)

The last update is dated 2-12-03.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Lars - I don't see anything either. However, it is possible for updates to appear for some people and not others. I could see the December 2002 Dev Tools Update when logged into ADC about a week before anyone else. (I just have the free membership). But the link did not work - I put it down to a problem with their web publishing system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[qb]Safari update today in software update!

must have been a hoax
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last update is dated 2-12-03.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lars
so this is not a hoax - do you live in a negitive world or what?????? Try and have a possitive attitude about things (oh buy the way those who live in glass houses should not through stones) food for thought

The tabs work great - Safari is just getting better.
73 and -.-. --.-

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"but it is their and it is posted on Apple."

The update is still posted as Feb. 12, 2003 - not the 26th or the 27th, and that update was v60 - not v62.

It's true to say that it may not appear in Software Update right away for all, but it's false to say it's on the Apple web site - because it's not. I reloaded the page several times and it's still dated Feb. 12/03.

As it says on the Apple site...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paradidle:
[qb]"Well lars

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The update just popped up in update menu all by its self. Not sure why you can't see it but it is their and it is posted on Apple. Now are you sure you are not plugged into a PC machine ??

The only prob i see is that the tabs must be selected for each page you open, when they can auto select i think it will rock.

73[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. The v62 update is not an official release. It is not available through Software Update to the masses and I have confirmed this on 12 different macs, all running Mac OS X 10.2.4

Also, as shown above, Apple's site does not have this update. It has the v 60 which doesn't support the tabbed browsing from what I can tell (although elements of it might actually be in the guts, but in a more preliminary stage.

I tried the "link" provided and have seen the v62 and although it does have tabbed browsing in the Debug menu (which would require either Terminal Unix typing to activate or probably the Safari Enhancer programs that are out there to see) you have to choose it.

Patience. It will be showing soon. I can sense it.

:cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I don't know where people come up with it being on the Apple site... it's pretty hard to lie about it when we can just go and check ourselves... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
JohnnyG4 wrote:
You've got 0 (zero) rights to any sort of internal builds. It doesn't matter if the company is giving away the software or charging for it, no license for that version means no rights.

Perhaps, but you've got to admit it's amusing when end-users find bugs in a leaked build (and the developers fix said bugs).

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts