Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've been trying to get past it but there is just no getting around it.

Safari is just a buggy piece of software! I love the features it has and I like the look, the feel, but man why release such a twitchy, buggy browser.

I've been using Mozilla and it is faster, displays pages correctly and actually caches pages properly. I keep firing up Safari hoping the elves have come and fixed the damn thing, but nope. ;)

Sorry to 'dis' mac stuff, but off it goes and I'll wait until they bring out another version of it.

Anyone else having problems with it to any extent or am I just being really picky?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You're not the only one.

My Safari always crashes when the cache gets too much or I delete the cache often in one day. Sometimes the whole browser can be a headache and other days it just works. I guess I will never get rid of IE until Safari performs better then IE.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I haven't had any major problems. I can't use it for online banking or to login to some of my suppliers but thats the most annoying thing. Sometimes when I go to maccentral.com, the window just closes itself. Safari doesn't quit but the window closes.
I use it for most of my browsing and these are the only probs I have had. I have heard lots of people saying they have many more bugs than this though so you are not alone

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm with you man. I love the way it looks and the whole idea but I do agree that it is buggy. I stopped using it for the time being.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's nice to know I'm not just being over critical. Hopeless as it is I'm using it right now, haven't deleted it yet :confused:

I will only fire up IE to verify website updates and stuff that I do for clients, I would never use a utility from the dark side to tool around on the Internet so that it can send signals back to the evil master of.....
Screw you Billy

Sorry about that...

I really like Mozilla, very light and fast. Not sure what happened to Opera, kinda fizzled out. Don't hear much about it anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay.........never mind Opera. What's up with the avatar Mr. jfpoole? That's hilarious!

Here Kitty kitty....

Ya they started out okay, then went all commercial then nothing. They seemed to do the whole Netscape thing in like a year or so.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I am running Safari in Panther and have no problems. I can even do my on line banking. It has never refused to load a page, and with the most recent update, is now showing me video on sites where all I got before was the blue cube with the question mark.

What I am finding unreliable now is the Mail app.. I used to use it all the time in Jag, but now I have gone back to Netscape 7.1. Mail just misses to many of my emails for me to trust it. I don't understand it, but I have three email acccounts, two in Telus and one .mac and Netscape brings home more emails every time than the mail app does.

To bad because I really liked Mail in Jag.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I'm with Cuba. Using Safari on 3 different machines with no crashes EVER! I would describe it as fast & solid. There is always the odd website that won't load though.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Yeah, same here. No probs with Safari whatsoever, although Flash performance is slower than NS or IE, it's faster that it was in the last point-"O" release.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have only a few issues with safari after 6 month intensive use on my eMac and PowerMac G3 @ work.

1) online banking is slooooow (pc financial) Camino, Firebird or Mozilla work very fast

2) bugzilla issues download rather than display, a known bug for bugzilla/safari ;)

3) Scum-patico support page :mad:

Finally there is a trans-Mac issue on just *one* game on my older daughters favorite site teletubbies

No matter what browser I use, the pink custard is not produced, and oh I like my pink custard.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Maybe I'm just not visiting the same adventuresome sites as you guys, but I'm having, like, 99% no problems with Safari under 10.2.8 (300mhz iBook, 288ram).

I can't recall the last time I visited a site and had a problem viewing it. Even my online banking (Scotiabank) works fine now.

I do frequently toss my cache and history, however, since I run real close to the edge of available disk space on this tiny 3.2 gig HD. :eek:

M.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
viivis,

I've never really followed Opera. I tried out Opera for Windows ages ago, but I didn't care for the interface at all (MDI just seemed wrong for a web browser). I've never tried Opera for Mac OS X, but from what I've heard it was nothing to write home about.

Safari, on the other hand, I love. I've not had a lot of problems with Safari (over-zealous caching being the first thing that springs to mind), although I tend to blame poor page rendering more on the page author than the browser.

As for my avatar, I found it on the web a few days ago. the cat in it bears a striking resemblance to one of my cats, both in appearance and behavior (I can see him getting on a turntable and looking confused when it started up).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Continuing on with andreww's post;

No Time Remaining of a download. How much longer do I have to wait for it to download?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It appears the results are split. Personally, Safari is rock solid on my TiPowerBook and I use it on a daily basis for hours on end, at times. I also do online transactions and things work well. The one site that's troublesome is Bell Canada, whose lines of text on some pages are garbled, but that's about it.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I don't have any problems with Safari at all, aside from the Sympatico SelfCare website not working :mad:
:rolleyes: ... luckily this older link still works... for how much longer, who knows.

It does help if you clear your Safari cache frequently. Though I think it's a terrific browser overall, its cookie-handling sucks. Apple should implement a "deny" feature a la Camino or Mozilla Firebird (MF is a great browser BTW) so you can control which sites can set cookies, and which ones can't.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Safari is stable on my computer too with 10.2.8.

Online banking works for me (CIBC) and all the site I go to load properly. The only problem was with Future Shop's website...but that was long time ago and I haven't been to that site since.

·
Registered
535 Posts
On Panther Safari is rock solid for me. I use Mozilla from time to time especially for my banking needs from CIBC, but both are fast, at times one faster then the other, just depends upon page content. The issue about missing plug-ins on my banking site is odd because in one of the earlier versions under Jag, I recall not getting the plug-in missing tab and it loaded page fine on CIBC.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts