Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, which one is better? True, Safari is made by Apple, but don't be prejudice, tell me your honest opinion!

E.G.
Cleanliness
Speed
Features
Etcetera

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I prefer Firefox because it appears to load webpages faster on my iBook and because through extensions I can eliminate web annoyances and customize how the browser works.

I still use Safari from time to time though. I'm not interested in beta testing it, however, once Safari 3 is ready from primetime, I hope it will be faster than Safari 2.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you, I love firefox and Safari, but use Firefox more

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I use Safari because it serves all my web surfing needs, has the way cool Safari Stand plugin, and is just way faster than any other web browser out there. I use Firefox for the occasional site that isn't Safari compatible which used to be an issue when I first got a Mac two years ago but find that now it's just no longer an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Firefox, 'cause I can't stand the way that Safari does RSS. The never-ending counter.

I'd go Camino (to get, IMHO, the best of both worlds) but it has no integrated RSS Reader.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
On the Mac, I prefer Safari because it renders faster, and has the Activity window which is handy. Oh, and the ability to make a list of files with Text Edit, and drag the list to the Download window to do mass downloads, however...

Firefox does render pages more accurately, and I have fewer problems grabbing embedded jpegs. And Firefox is extensible and the iFox Metal makes it look much the same as Safari. And Firefox works with the online Google Apps.

I actually run about a dozen browsers, but only Safari and Firefox merit a place in the Dock. I also use them with different sets of bookmarks; I use Safari for all of the technical and research related sites; while I tend to use Firefox for the more creative portions of my endeavours. I also use Safari without tabbed browsing, while I use tabbed browsing with Firefox.

If I could only have one on my system, I'd pick Safari because it loads and renders pages quicker; although if I was more of a power user, I'd be running Lynx...

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm Safari biased

...no real good reason, other than I like the rendering quality of Safari - for the sites it is compatible with, I find it more aesthestically pleasing than Firefox.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I'd go Camino (to get, IMHO, the best of both worlds) but it has no integrated RSS Reader.
I understand that they want it to be a "pure" browser without a lot of other stuff, but I feel the same as you, without built-in RSS, I'm sticking with Firefox.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Safari on my Macs, Firefox when forced to use a PC.
When the betas are done, I'll likely use Safari on PCs too.

I don't see a difference in preformance between the two, but esthetically, Firefox seems to have an element of "Windows-ishness".
I prefer Safari's esthetic.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mostly Safari, except in those cases where I have a specific compatibility issue that is solved by Firefox.

I prefer the way Safari handles bookmarks and RSS feeds, and of course the whole Mac aesthetic. The other deal-breaking issues with Firefox for me are a lack of bookmark syncing and Mac OS X Keychain integration. Since I use more than one computer, and subscribe to .Mac, these features alone leave me hooked on Safari. My stored passwords and bookmarks remain beautifully in sync between my desktop and my Powerbook.

I realize that some of this can be done in Firefox with additional plug-ins, but I honestly can't be bothered messing with plug-ins when Safari does what I want out-of-the-box.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Firefox on my MBP and my PCs. Like other people have said, it renders pages faster/better. Also I have a fair amount of plugins that are useful for me. But the big thing is that there are a bunch of websites that won't speak to Safari (aircanada.com comes to mind).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I prefer the way Firefox organizes bookmarks, the way it integrates RSS feeds, the way tabbed browsing works with it, the way you can manage search engines with it and of course the tons of different extensions you can use with it. I keep on trying Safari but I just can't get used to it. Each of the items listed above I use on a daily basis with Firefox so whenever I try Safari I always run into it's shortcomings. The only feature that I prefer with Safari is it's quicker launch time. That being said it still takes longer to render most pages. So for me it's simple, Firefox beats Safari hands down! :cool:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Question about Safari vs. Firefox: In FF, I can make the browser display the font I choose, regardless of what the page specifies. I can't seem to do the same in Safari, so choosing a Display Font is almost useless on most sites (except that I can control size) . . . Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Safari.
I don't find any speed difference and never seem to work with sites that dislike Safari.

I find Firefox ugly.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Safari (3.0.2) mostly. Camino for anything that gives Safari trouble. Irrational distaste for FireFox (slow and ugly)...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't like Safari overly. I got used to Firefox on a windows machine and when I made the switch, I couldn't change my browser.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts