Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had the Safari problems: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbdb9d6

"In the blink of an eye, it removed, destroyed, evaporated, my entire Home directory, including the desktop which disappeared along with days of work projects that were on it!" Ouch.

I haven't tried option-clicking a download yet...will have to try when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I had a few problmes with Safari not reloading pages properly after updating the HTML on them, and it cannot read an HTML page that has a QT File embedded in it (.mpg), you are required to add an object class tag to have it work
(As I figured out with my Safari Videos yesterday)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Not like anyone ever does, but it is beta software and as such, shouldn't be run (or even installed) until you've backed up.

This very warning is in the license for the benifit of those who didn't know this, so I suppose that proves that about 101% of people never read it [including me ;) ].

However, it should be noted that a grand total of 3 people have reported this problem on Apple's site and none of them know exactly what they were doing when it happened. Many others have reported Option-clicking till the cows came home and the only thing that happened is after a while the desktop was kinda hard to see through all the files.

As another precaution, repair permissions after installing any beta software (as far as anyone can tell, the only way this can happen if permissions are incorrect, aside from the obvious things like maybe surfing the web as root).

Some people do have the symbolic link to temp disappear. If you're one of them, then:
To recreate the /tmp symbolic link (/tmp is symlink to /private/tmp).
Start Terminal;
Type:
sudo ln -s /private/tmp /tmp
Enter your password at the prompt.
Log out and back in if necessary.

"l" is the lowercase L, not uppercase i.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am only using OSX to play with for now. I want to get used to it before I start working in OSX. I edit video.

Anyway, I dl safari and it was great at first, but now it can't find any plugins. No java, no flash, even when I dl flash and reinstall, of course flash wants to install to IE does not recognize safari.

John

PS how do I get the numeric keys to function under OSX?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts