Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know what I did, but it seems that my accounts' Safari app got screwed up. I get faded quicktime question marks where there should be graphics. I created a new user to see if was happening on that account and it works just fine so obviously I did something to screw mine up. I see you can't download any 2.x version of Safari so does anyone know how I fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If it works fine in another user account, then there's nothing wrong with the Safari application, and therefore no need to download and reinstall. The key is the user account itself.

First off, try repairing permissions using Disk Utility. See if that fixes it.

Second, close Safari and then move the entire ~/Library/Safari folder (where ~ is the user account's home folder) to your desktop and relaunch Safari. If that solves your problem, then copy the Bookmarks.plist file from the old Safari folder to the new one that Safari recreated and delete the one from your Desktop. If it doesn't solve your problem, delete the new Safari folder and put the old one back.

Third, close Safari and then move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist to your Desktop and relaunch Safari. If that solves your problem, delete it. If it doesn't solve your problem, put it back, replacing the new copy Safari recreated.

If none of that works, try to think of anything you might have done that may have caused the problem, or what you were doing immediately prior to the problem occurring and post back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I tried all three of those things already (very good suggestions by the way) and none of them worked.

I can't be sure what I did to make it happen. I'm thinking it's a plugin gone bad or something...? Something conflicting with a plug-in?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I removed the Internet Plug-Ins folder from the main library and placed it on my desktop and now it works!! I figured it was a plug in problem but was a little afraid to move or do anything to the items in the folder. I guess I'll just have to rebuild the plugins over time now as I come across the ones i need?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Ok, I removed the Internet Plug-Ins folder from the main library and placed it on my desktop and now it works!! I figured it was a plug in problem but was a little afraid to move or do anything to the items in the folder. I guess I'll just have to rebuild the plugins over time now as I come across the ones i need?
You probably don't have so many plugins that you couldn't determine the culprit through process of elimination. I'd start putting them back half at a time until you start having the problem, then start removing half at a time until you narrow it down to the one that's the problem.

It's probably not the plugin itself, but the plugin's preference file, since the problem doesn't occur for a new user. Plugins in the main Library folder are available to all users of a system. Once you find out which plugin it is, try looking for a preference file for it in your user's ~/Library/Preferences folder. Also look in ~/Library/Application Support in your users home folder. Removing the offending preference or support file will most likely solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow! Probably the most technically correct and helpful message I have ever received! You answered all the questions I had without me even asking them!...thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.