Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
I am hoping that with version 1.0 you will be able to disable the cache entirely, as people on Broadband (such as a good portion of the population of ehMac) don't really need it anyway, and it can tend to hinder perfomance rather than help.

I'm not sure disabling caching entirely would be a good idea. On a site like ehMac, there are lots of little GIFs used throughout the site that rarely, if ever, change. Having to hit the server every time you load a page on ehMac to grab those images would probably be more expensive than loading those images from the cache.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
I use a laptop with a slow hard drive, on my broadband connection pages load much much faster when I hit the server for them than if they are fetched out of the cache. Plus, less disk usage means more battery life.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I guess my experiences with the SimCity 4 website have sort of soured me on the idea of not having a cache. See, each page on the SimCity 4 website uses about a hundred small GIF and JPG files to lay out the site, and *none* of them get cached. Needless to say this leads to a poor browsing experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.