Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed an annoying "feature" in Safari this morning. (I've sent this by bug report and e-mail to the Safari team.)

I updated a PDF on my site using FTP, then attempted to download the new document. Safari kept downloading the OLD version. At first, I thought I had given the new file the wrong name, or my FTP software wasn't working properly.

Restarting Safari didn't help, but emptying the cache fixed it. So... it appears that part of Safari's "simplified downloads" feature is the habit of retrieving downloads from the cache instead of the page. Faster, yes, but not always the desired behaviour.

I can see how this could help users to get faster downloads, but it's a headache for publishers unless Safari is smart enough to compare versions before serving the one in the cache. (Right now, it doesn't appear to do this.)

SMc

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am hoping that with version 1.0 you will be able to disable the cache entirely, as people on Broadband (such as a good portion of the population of ehMac) don't really need it anyway, and it can tend to hinder perfomance rather than help.

I am hoping that Chimera will let you disable it soon too.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
I am hoping that with version 1.0 you will be able to disable the cache entirely, as people on Broadband (such as a good portion of the population of ehMac) don't really need it anyway, and it can tend to hinder perfomance rather than help.

I'm not sure disabling caching entirely would be a good idea. On a site like ehMac, there are lots of little GIFs used throughout the site that rarely, if ever, change. Having to hit the server every time you load a page on ehMac to grab those images would probably be more expensive than loading those images from the cache.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I use a laptop with a slow hard drive, on my broadband connection pages load much much faster when I hit the server for them than if they are fetched out of the cache. Plus, less disk usage means more battery life.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
I use a laptop with a slow hard drive, on my broadband connection pages load much much faster when I hit the server for them than if they are fetched out of the cache. Plus, less disk usage means more battery life.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I guess my experiences with the SimCity 4 website have sort of soured me on the idea of not having a cache. See, each page on the SimCity 4 website uses about a hundred small GIF and JPG files to lay out the site, and *none* of them get cached. Needless to say this leads to a poor browsing experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.