Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody direct me to a site that explains in REAL ENGLISH how to import my NetScape 7.0.1 book marks and where to find them to Safari
I tried this with Chimera and got only about 65% of the bookmarks and it was not just the last 35% that did not make it Several Urls in the first 10% did not make it with no order at all

I do not want to import netscape to IE which never worked for me in the first place.

What I want is a simple conversion of my voluminous 7.0.1 bookmarks to Safari Is this possible

Thanks all

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello, I was watching Macdaddys link to the vid he made about Safari and because of it I learned there actually is such a thing.
I never knew Apple had its own browser. anyway I was wondering Brain, if you would tell me about it? What's it like, do you recommed it? And hey any one else care to contribute please do. I am very curious.
thanks
:cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timmer:
Hello, I was watching Macdaddys link to the vid he made about Safari and because of it I learned there actually is such a thing.
I never knew Apple had its own browser. anyway I was wondering Brain, if you would tell me about it? What's it like, do you recommed it? And hey any one else care to contribute please do. I am very curious.
thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to know about it, download it. It's about 2.9 MB, downloadable even on dial-up connections. Best advice I can give. Right now, I think Safari only supports importing bookmarks from IE, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Safari was announced and released 2 days ago, so unless you saw the keynote speech or were doing alot of MWSF exploring in the web-sense, you probably are only just finding out.

Converting bookmarks to Safari from a non-IE Browser is still under investigation. Converting from another browser to IE, then use the nifty Safari Enhancerwhich is getting updated quite quickly (3 times in 2 days so far) offers some tweaks such as re-importing of your IE bookmarks and, just a few hours ago, Chimera support (although touted as being 'not perfect') for version 1.0.3.

Also, Safari seems have made itself the default browser on my machine, with no help from me. I also think the IE icon had a bandage on it's face, as if it just got b!tch-slapped or something!

Wow. I love this browser. Version 1.0 will kick so much butt!

·
Registered
237 Posts
To get my book marks from Omniweb into Safari, I just dragged and dropped them from Omniweb's bookmark drawer into Safari's.

To put them into a folder I just dragged to that folder.

I should say I don't have a million bookmarks, maybe 70. Took all of 15 minutes.

John

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks Lars, but I think it's only for the new OS. So I will have to wait to hear about it from you OS X users.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timmer:
Thanks Lars, but I think it's only for the new OS. So I will have to wait to hear about it from you OS X users.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were under Mac OS 9 and not X.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Brian.

I had the same trouble with my Chimera bookmarks. They export to an XML file, and Safari doesn't seem to know how to import them.

However, Safari seems to automatically import IE bookmarks every time it loads. At least, when I imported my Chimera XML file into IE, then started up Safari, the Chimera bookmarks appeared as a folder inside the "imported IE bookmarks" folder.

In other words:
- export Netscape bookmarks
- import into Internet Explorer, then quit
- launch Safari

By this method, your Netscape bookmarks should appear in Safari in the "imported IE bookmarks" folder.

Sandy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts