Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On all my Mac's I've upgraded to Safari 4. On all of them it works really well; except on my iBook G3. All of the pages seem to load half way off the screen. I'll attach an example screen shot. I'm using the latest Firefox now. I'm wondering if the problem is related to the small screen that this iBook has or the 800x600 display mode perhaps. All of the settings on the iBook are the same as on my eMac. If the only solution is to use Firefox or say Camino I can live with that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Apple hasn't designed software to be compatible with 800x600 in about 10 years now.
:confused:

iTunes will run at 800x600, and so will Safari. The only apps I know of for sure that won't run in 800x600 are several of their Pro apps: Aperture, Final Cut Pro, shake, etc. along with the rest of iLife. (In other words - their "full screen applications" don't like 800x600 but anything else doesn't mind) Document based apps don't care.

It looks like there's an odd bug in Safari there - try resetting Safari or resizing the window to see if you can get it to fix. Safari works great for me sized to 800x600 - it allows me to have 3 windows side by side over two monitors for monitoring multiple items at once. It should be noted that I don't find 800x600 a good browsing resolution.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem Solved!

:confused:

iTunes will run at 800x600, and so will Safari. The only apps I know of for sure that won't run in 800x600 are several of their Pro apps: Aperture, Final Cut Pro, shake, etc. along with the rest of iLife. (In other words - their "full screen applications" don't like 800x600 but anything else doesn't mind) Document based apps don't care.

It looks like there's an odd bug in Safari there - try resetting Safari or resizing the window to see if you can get it to fix. Safari works great for me sized to 800x600 - it allows me to have 3 windows side by side over two monitors for monitoring multiple items at once. It should be noted that I don't find 800x600 a good browsing resolution.
Just downloaded Safari 4.0.2 and Now pages load up totally normal and operational! Though, because of the 800x600 screen there is a bit of extra scrolling required horizontally; but thats ok!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts