Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm wondering if anybody's heard anything thru the grapevine about new flat panel displays from Apple in the near future. Their current monitor product line has been around for a while now, so it makes you wonder...

The reason that I'm asking is because I'm thinking seriously about picking up a 20" (or maybe 23") display to complement my shiny new 12" 1GHz G4 Powerbook. The 'Book can be operated CLOSED with an external keyboard & mouse and monitor, so I'm thinking about using it as my desktop system instead of buying a 2nd Mac.

Macworld Expo in January might be a great time for them to announce new displays...

Anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Since there is a 20" iMac, there must be a larger Apple Display coming.. it does not make sense to have the 20" iMac and display "competing" toghther.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the price adjustment may be happening already. I see that Carbonmac has tweaked the prices down on the 20 and 23 inch displays.

Sure would be nice to know for sure, though, because I would love to have that screen right now.

Patience is a virtue...
Good things come to those who wait...
(Repeat 7 to 15 times as necessary to beat down the "impulse buy" urge)

Haikuu :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The 'Book can be operated CLOSED with an external keyboard & mouse and monitor, so I'm thinking about using it as my desktop system instead of buying a 2nd Mac.
Little-known-fact: you can also run it open if you want to use the built-in keyboard with an external mouse + monitor. You can still have the external monitor be the only display this way. Just connect the external monitor, then sleep by closing the book. Wake the book by plugging in the mouse (or clicking if it's a bluetooth mouse), and THEN open the book. The book's internal display does not activate and you can now use the internal keyboard. The advantage is you don't have to adjust to different keyboards for desktop/mobile use. Of course you could always have both displays active but I like working with a single display.

Disclaimer: this is not a documented feature, and I've only tested it on my 12" PB 867.

·
Registered
728 Posts
there are going to be new apple displays, it is rumoured 'very loudly' to be a 30" cinema, they already exist in japan from (NEC & ??) making/selling those for pc.
i use both the 20" and 23" daily and can tell everyone hands on that I love those to death! there is indeed a big real estate difference and i am sooo spoiled, forget what people say the 20" is brighter bla bla bla, the 23" is just as wonderful ( in never need to turn up the brightness level more than 2 clicks from minimum). i actually find the 20" to be small after some widgeting. the thing is bigger the better, just wait for the price drop and jump in.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Regarding pricing of apple stuff ... Hasn't anyone noticed that the strenghthening of the Cdn Loonie has NOT translated to consumer savings? I think that should be happening soon! :eek:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Last time I checked the Apple prices, they were using a Canadian Dollar of 0.72 - 0.73 which sounds reasonable to me. The Canadian Dollar really hasn't stabilized much over 0.7450 just yet. It's only been in the last few weeks that it's gone back up significantly - it was down under 0.7500 just a little over a week ago. So I wouldn't expect much in the way of exchange rates to reduce prices.

Our Dollar is going to have to stabilize over 0.75 for a couple of months before you see even a small adjustment in Apple prices.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
30"!!

:eek:

Oh man... my personal though is that the 20" is ¡la ultima! monitor. I love the size and the $$ point - though still feels like a shot to the gut - but it's so nice. I could not imagine anything bigger (for any of my needs anyhow).

Will ppl be forced to get al new desks?? I mean 30?? that's almost a full yard!

H!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: The 'Book can be operated CLOSED with an external keyboard & mouse and monitor, so I'm thinking about using it as my desktop system instead of buying a 2nd Mac.

I visited Carbon Computing a couple of days ago to find out whether this was in fact possible -- I had a Powerbook 520 that I operated that way for years and I hoped to go the same route once I decide which portable to get. The helpful soul at Carbon told me that a coin (?) could be used to leave the lid open slightly to mitigate overheating problems, but if I understood him correctly this could affect the computer's warranty if a problem should arise. Is there a definitive source on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.