Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a gamer (the few games that I play usually involve falling blocks, blobs and marbles!), but I would like to try out some sort of role playing game on my 17" iMac G4 for the heck of it. I think I'd prefer something D&D'ish, but would consider alternate "fantasies" if the game has compelling features/qualities. Online gameplay sound interesting but not required. "Baldur's Gate" seems like a possibility. Really, I'm open to anything. I even played Angband for a while. Surprisingly fun for ASCII graphics!

What do you think is the best RPG for Mac OS X, and why?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
never mind os x

Myst was, and is, the best.

Music, scenery, storyline. Changed gaming forever and let those of us that can't frag 20 foes per minute play a game with the full audio-visual experience.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The downside of the original and "director's cut" variants of MYST is that they are not OS X compatible.

However, RealMYST is OS X compatible. It's not the original exactly, it's really done up in a 3D engine whereas the original was done using Hypercard.

Having just played RealMYST (and looking at it compared to the original) it is excellently re-created the original environment, with subtle differences and a "New 5th Age" you can access after the game has been "completed" (you need to complete the original game before you can get there, despite it looking like you can).

However, as for "RPG", I don't know if you can classify any of the MYST games as an RPG.

Some possible ones to look at are:

Baldur's Gate (not yet available for X, although I hear it's planned)
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale

Fantasoft's REALMZ is an excellent choice too, especially for beginners.

If a Post-Apocalyptic spin is more to your taste, I highly recommend Fallout and Fallout 2

MasSoft also has a couple of choice titles, including Dungeon Siege and NeverWinter Nights

:cool:

·
Registered
693 Posts
NeverWinter Nights is really good...just havn't had a chance to play it since school started :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
I highly recomend Warcraft III. Great fun and not a crazy paced shooter. Also it has D & D character development to it. Games can take weeks to play from beginning to end.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going to agree with strongblade and say fallout and neverwinter nights. If you're into D&D, neverwinter nights is based off of their 3rd edition rules.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts