Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Policy shift in the works after CBC reveals relationship between Grande Prairie Legion, far-right group

A member of the Soldiers of Odin Canada displays a patch during a rally in Toronto against the federal government's anti-Islamophobia bill on March 4, 2017. (Chris Helgren/Reuters)
A day after CBC News revealed a Royal Canadian Legion branch in Alberta counts members of the far-right group Soldiers of Odin among its ranks, the national Legion said it would be investigating those links.

"It's just something that we haven't dealt with in the past, but it's hit us right in the face today, and we're going to deal with it," said Thomas Irvine, the Legion's national president.

The Soldiers of Odin Canada are an off-shoot of a neo-Nazi group with the same name in Finland. The Canadian organization has made a name for itself by appearing at anti-immigration protests across the country over the last two years, from Montreal to Vancouver.

But in Grande Prairie, Alta., about a half-dozen members have signed up with the local Legion, which rented the Soldiers its hall for a community Easter dinner last week.

"The story kind of shocked me, I'll tell you, it really did shock me, and I was somewhat dismayed at the news, but we have to deal with these situations, and we will," Irvine said.
More at the link.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/soldiers-of-odin-grande-prairie-legion-1.5123011

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
This group uses the same tactics as other criminal organizations - doing community charity work to put a friendly face on their otherwise nefarious activities, something the Hells Angels and other motorcycle clubs were wont to do.

In this case, an earlier CBC report expounded on the complicity / idiocy of the branch manager:

"It's a community event and that's exactly what we wanted to do, we wanted to feed the homeless, the mothers and children that showed up were phenomenal," said the legion's branch manager, Courtney Robson.

The Soldiers estimated they fed around 100 people that day.
....Grand Prairie chapter president Wade Reimer.

Reimer decried what he called an unearned reputation for the Soldiers as a hate group, citing what he called its work helping out the homeless, or picking up used needles in parks.
They're just LOVELY, MISUNDERSTOOD, god-fearing people! /sarcasm

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at the local legion for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and this was a hot topic around the tables. No one accepted nor condoned any such activity at our branch 271 and all were vocally against not only the SOO but of the Grande Prairie branch of which I was once a member.

I joined as an associate member in 1965 and have been a member since in branches in Swift Current, SK., Grande Prairie, AB., Wallaceburg, ON., Fort McMurray, AB. and now St. Albert, AB for the past 31 years.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts