Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need to network a few home PCs ( I know) and my new mac. But I'm not sure what router to get and if my current cable internet provider will find it thrilling that I wanna use a router. damn you rogers. Just need to know which routers you recommend and your experience with both rogers and routers. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

When we lived in Guelph, we had one PC and one Mac sharing an internet connection through a Linksys router. Never had any problems with Rogers, but I think I needed to release the IP address from the PC to get it to work. It was a couple of years ago.

I'm sure that you'll be fine or the people here will be able to help you out.

James

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Linksys works well. Don't ask Rogers to help you configure it though: they're not interested in providing what they view as free support to a home network.

Not that you'll need it...between ehMac and the Linksys support site, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I thought the same thing once (about companies not liking routers), but in reality they actually do. When my friend wanted to connect another computer he phoned Telus and they said you could spend another $10/month for another IP or get a router, in which they suggested getting the router. It keeps other IP addresses open for more users on their network. (Then again we have Shaw and Telus out here and they are sure nicer then Rogers)

All that will be needed is to get a MAC address of the computer already connected to the cable modem and have that put in place of the MAC Address for the router.

Every router I've seen comes with decent documentation and tells you just how to do that.

As for which router, it doesn't matter too much. I have a Netgear router (also is a wireless base station) and it works superbly. So here is recommendation for Netgear.

The hardest part with routers is that occasionally you have to set up port forwarding which can be a tad annoying and intimidating for first time users. In reality it isn't very hard, but the only time I've ever had to do that is with iChat and using the video chat.

[ January 11, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Put another way: if I was able to set up, configure and maintain my router, you'll be able to do it too.

Interesting point Chealion made. What's port forwarding all about? I've never had to use that and my iChat runs fine. What does it do?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Port forwarding moer allows for specific functions to come through the router unrequested to a computer.

Typically the way a router works it only lets information come through if a machine asks for it. For example, loading the ehMac page you machines send the request out to the router which then routes the info back to your machine.

If you have a remote desktop app set up (for example, say Apple Remote Desktop or some other VNC type app) and you need to access your main machine from the road, the router won't route that outside connection attempt to anywhere because that connection was not requested. In that case you can set up a port to forward to a specific machine so that the connection can be made.

If you take a router out of the box, there should be basically no configuration to make anything work besides turning it on[1].

I usually recommend D-Link over Linksys for Mac users because unlike Linksys if you ever need to call for support D-Link will say "You've got a Mac? No problem."

[1] Telus and some other DSL companies require MAC address registration, and of course there are other exceptions to the rule, but for the average user it should be plug and play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts