Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running 10.4.10 and am having issues with the system reading my USB external HD. (see my other thread).

I thought I would open this question up to more people - does anyone know how to rollback your version of Mac OS?

I tried the combo installer but it didn't seem to work - wouldn't let me select Macintosh HD as my drive to install to, and thus wouldn't let me archive and install.

If anyone knows how to solve this it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I think you have to re-install Tiger with at least 'Archive and Install' in order to revert, then upgrade to 10.4.9..........

I have had zero problems with 10.4.10, speaking only for myself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm currently running 10.4.10 and am having issues with the system reading my USB external HD. (see my other thread).

I thought I would open this question up to more people - does anyone know how to rollback your version of Mac OS?

I tried the combo installer but it didn't seem to work - wouldn't let me select Macintosh HD as my drive to install to, and thus wouldn't let me archive and install.

If anyone knows how to solve this it would be greatly appreciated!!
I could be wrong, but I think archive and install wont work if your current OS version is newer then the one you're installing. I think if you backup, do a complete erase and install, and then use the migration assitant, you should be able to use that save your data while reinstalling, and then place it back onto your HD.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
As has been pointed out before; Clone then update. If you have done this it is an easy matter (usually less than 10 minutes) to revert to your previous set-up.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
by clone do you mean backup via superduper or equivalent?
Yup. Best bet is to have an external FW drive with a small partition for a bootable system and additional partitions the same size as your boot volume. Boot to the external and clone your main HD to one of the partitions on the external. If you rotate between 2 "clone partitions" you can usually get back to a working system with little difficulty.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did the archive and install and worked perfectly!! Thanks guys!

Problem though, is that all the archived files are still on my HD, where are they located so I can delete them?

And also, I back up to a .dmg file, is that okay or is it better to back up to a seperate partition on an external drive?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.