Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rogers announced via Newswire it plans a higher speed 5 Mbps cable internet service in Ontario and New Brunswick.

It sounds as though it will be a pay-extra service though:

"This new service will be in addition to the current offering with speeds up to 3Mbps (already faster than the DSL competitor) provided to existing Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers."

·
Registered
71 Posts
What a joke. My brother has Rogers "Hi-Speed" supposedly. But his line tests shows it is only modem speed. Calls every week get nothing but "We're working on it" replies and a credit. It looks like DSL for him next month once Bell upgrades the equipment.

5 MB, my brother would like to just have 1 MB.

H

·
Registered
275 Posts
k, do you actually get to download at that speed(given the other side can upload at that speed)? I mean my connection according to www.toast.net and other speed test sites show my D/L is between 2.5 mbps and 3mbps but my "real time" download hits no more than 300kbps... What is the 2.5mbps and 3 mbps measured from then?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Cable is a Crap Shoot! Some areas you get phenominal speed, while others, it's worse than dial up. DSL seems to be more consistent. In all my transfers and moves over the last 8 years (that' right, 8 years of high speed) from one end of the country to the other cable has never been satisfactory. DSL Always.
That being said, some people swear by cable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
well when i run tests they say 2,000 kbps or 2mbps

like toast.net said my thorughput is 2,246kbps

but downloads are no more than 300kbps

see my isp advertises at having up to 3mbps but no way have i downlaoded at this speed but speed test register me at taht speed. (like my example above) but why don't they just advertise the actual D/L speed.

So I guess my question is by what standard are the achiving 3mbps?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Speed from any broadband ISP can be no greater than the weakest link in the total communication chain. In my case, when I went from a slow, ancient 1997 Performa Mac to my 2003 1ghz iMac, the improvement was dramatic. The Performa did better with cable than dial-up, especially for downloads, but never came close to the speed I now get on iMac.

Johnny.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cable speeds are good right now but its been flakey. I just downloaded two files at 280 kb/s from work (very high speed connection at that end). That equates to 2.24 Mbits/s so its close to Rogers promise.

I wonder if the new service involves guarantees. I'd pay for that (although it shouldn't be necessary). Speed is addictive.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I was on Cable, but Telus offered me a killer deal for ADSL, basically half the price I was paying before.

My dl speed has been generally slightly faster with ADSL, and occasionally blindingly faster. The only downside is all the problems with Telus tech support - get ready to wait, and wait...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Primus is offering a rather interesting deal right now in which your ADSL and voiceline are combined for one price (starting around $20). They'll even let you slap on a separate fax line.

The downside (as I understand it) is that you're have to rely on voice-over-IP for your phone service. I'm not quite ready to take that risk quite yet, but I'm going to keep an eye on what others have to say about it. At first glance, it sure seems like a killer deal.

Here's the link in case you're curious.

Has anyone out there tried VoIP yet?

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I am also with Rogers and its a complete nightmare. I have been fighting with there tech support for over 5 months now. They acknowledge that it is there problem and are working on it. I have now discovered on my own what the problem is. They cannot handle the amount of people in my area using Rogers Cable. I live very close to the University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier, so alot of students live in my area. And of course they have high speed internet. As soon as the christmas break began my internet speed shot right up to an 260 kbps + downloads, sometimes even over 300 kbps downloads. And as soon as the break was over and the students came back, I am back down to 45 kbps downloads. Time to move to a consistent high speed provider

1 - 13 of 13 Posts