·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Rogers high speed customer and I just got a new eMac. I went to a
faster Mac thinking my high speed would be faster. I had a 7500 with a
233Mhz card in it and it was slow as molasses even with 512MB of Ram and
512K cache card.

I had Rogers check the modem and the lines. They told me it was my computer.
So I got the eMac and it is still SLOW slower than a friends High Speed lite
connection. My friend lives 2 houses up from me and had his cabling and
internet put in at the same time I did. Yet his seems faster than my full
high speed.

So why is my connection SO SLOW.
It takes me 10 minutes to download a 25MB file and it will NOT go any faster
than 20Kb/sec.

If I was to switch to another high speed supplier what one is good in
Ontario? Near Owen Sound and Collingwood. There is a new one. Called Grant
does any one know if they are any good?

Any hints?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
The problem may not be your computer .. in Rogers case, they use a shared line system and it will slow down as it splits the service amongst it's users. Basically, the more customers on-line, the slower your node's connection will be. Rogers also has two service (I think) Hi-Speed and Hi-Speed Lite, each with it's own speed settings.

For example, when I lived in the Waterloo area I basically had the whole line to myself and I got T3 speeds most of the time (this was also when Rogers had the static IP system and a better setup in my opinion) - when I moved to the Barrie region I went with Rogers (because this is what I had before) and man was I ever disappointed, the service literally sucked. I was getting unbelievable slow everything if and when the service was on. It was almost like I was on dial-up again.

The only way to correct this was to tell Rogers to stuff it and go to ADSL. I was able to find a reseller of ADSL services rather than going to Bell which was a little more expensive than Bell but better options and a static IP.

There was one other thing that I remember though. When I had a slow down on Rogers they told me that there was nothing wrong but every once in a while the service would just flake out .. what happened was that I split the cable to run a TV as well .. I only found out that this can cause major problems with the internet service as the splitter effects the signal.

I don't know if this helps but ...

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Rogers regular high speed in Toronto. Was using a slower, 6 year old mac and internet was slow but downloads would usually be pretty fast. But they have been very reliable for a long time. When i upgraded to a new 17" imac Rogers, OS-X, and Safari Rogers has become fantastic - fast and reliable.

Some things that could be wrong, and should be checked out are:
Your modem - it got faster for me when my old one was replaced with a Terayon.
Internet settings on your computer - Rogers will review them with you over the phone, one by one.
Your neighborhood - As stated above, if there are too many Rogers customers in your neighborhood for the line you are on, then they will run another line according to some ratio they have - that should happen automatically but you might have to ask.

I assume that you are slow pretty well for all the sites you go to on the net and that you are using a recent browser. Some sites can be terrible for one browser and fine with another. I had serious problems with an older version of Nescape (v4.97) on some sites, and Internet Explorer was fine. Currently I am using Safari, and it is great for all sites on the net.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had the same problem in Winterpeg... compared to Oakville (where I worked for Cogeco Cable) the cable was terrible. It all depends on the backbone and the number of subscribers on your particular node. I switched to DSL and get 6 to 8 times the download speed. It certainly is not your mac I was running a simular speed Mac and never had a problem, what you have is a tech that has no working knowledge of Macs.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Rogers seems to have a few problems. Most of the time their speed is good, but when it isn't they don't seem to know what's going on with their own network. I've had times when I phone their support and they've got no idea what's going on. Ummm, my internet and TV are both down and you don't know what's going on? I wouldn't trust their support enough to buy a new computer because they say your computer is the problem. If you ask me, they should pay for your new computer since they told you that's what the problem was and it didn't fix it. Or at least give you free internet access for a year. Of course they have no written statement of what speed you should be getting either (this should be fixed, there should be a guaranteed bandwith), but 20Kb (your saying 20 Kilobits? - heck I get 60-70 Kilobytes when accessing fast servers) sounds terrible to me.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is NOT the lite version its the high speed.
and yes there is a spliter but the guy from rogers who looked at the lines told me that there was no "lack of signal"

I agree this is exactally like it:"

"It was almost like I was on dial-up again."

So whats a good one to go with? and are they expensive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like the Bell commcerical says, everyone in your neighbourhood shares your cable line.

Sometimes I get unheard of speeds here in Guelph, and some days, your going a 10k a second, but let me tell you one thing, it is not your mac. Like mentioned, make sure you don't have that line spliced anywhere in the house. If you want to best possible speed, it has to be a direct line to the rogers cable line. If you have more then one computer connected to a router, there is yet another bottleneck that kills your bandwidth.

It could also be all the hackers hacking into the joke which is the rogers security. :D When I think of a Christmas tree, I think of rogers security. Once you get inot 1 place, you can go to anyone elses hard drive!!!
Buy that router and setup a firewall!....lol

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
This has nothing to do with sharing. Rogers doesn't share that much to slow it down as much as you describe. If 20K/sec is the fastest you get from any site, there's something wrong.

Besides, with DSL, all customers share the same pipe to the internet. That sharing argument is bogus.

If the signal is good, ask to try another modem. Also ask them to check the modem on their end - I had connectvity problems once and it took a bit of pushing to get them to check their modem. And sure enough, that was the problem.

·
Registered
590 Posts
DSL all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had cable and it was horrible, my dial was faster. I was getting pings of 600 with shaw and 400 on dial up and 100 an dsl. And dsl is a direct line, so it is much faster.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bell ULTRA High Speed = KILLER solid 2.5 MEGAbits downstream
ROger's "High" SPeed = Garbage 400kb "usually" down, sometimes its slower.

If you live in a condo on the corner of Young and FInch that is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Q. for 8th degree:

Please explain about this.

What is 400 kb - 400,000 bits or bytes? If it is bytes, then could we say that each byte is 8 bits, and therefore Rogers is 3.2 MEGAbits?

And if it is, than Rogers at 3.2 MEGAbits is faster than "Bell ULTRA High Speed = KILLER solid 2.5 MEGAbits downstream".

Johnny.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Bell ULTRA High Speed = KILLER solid 2.5 MEGAbits downstream
ROger's "High" SPeed = Garbage 400kb "usually" down, sometimes its slower.
Apples and oranges.
Bell ULTRA hi-speed $69.95 / month, 20 GB / month

Bell hi-speed $44.95 / month, 10 GB / month
Rogers hi-speed $44.95 / month, unlimited / month

Bell has bit caps - i.e. limits on how much you can download and upload per month before being charged extra.

Rogers has no bit cap, YET.

Rogers is busier as more people access your 'segment'
Bell is worse, the farther you are from the 'hub'
Rogers is always online WITHOUT additional sfw. for OS 9
Bell requires "Access Manager" for OS 9

I use my Rogers mostly during the day and being in a residential area, I get good download rates, but of course download depends on the site you are downloading from and al the pipes in between you and the site.

I would suggest that one try one service then the other.
If you have trouble with your speed, call your provider and threaten to go to the competition. That usually gets them going. It is a very competitive market between the two. Play them one off the other.

Rogers does offer discounts for cable tv / cable internet bundles.

There, did I miss anything?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
There's also the third party DSL providers - you get the same connection as Bell but you get different billing structures. http://www.istop.com is one of those providers.

The nice thing about the third parties is you can get a dedicated IP address, and they don't care if you host web or file servers, as long as it's not illegal.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Bell hi-speed $44.95 / month, 10 GB / month
Rogers hi-speed $44.95 / month, unlimited / month

Bell has bit caps - i.e. limits on how much you can download and upload per month before being charged extra.

Rogers is busier as more people access your 'segment'
Bell is worse, the farther you are from the 'hub'
Rogers is always online WITHOUT additional sfw. for OS 9
Bell requires "Access Manager" for OS 9
I have ADSL with Bell and I don't. Bell is the only game in town for ADSL and they aren't ... Like the post above there are third party suppliers of Bell's ADSL service .. Golden Triangle Online in Kitchener is my ISP and service is very decent for the price I pay. I have a dedicated service, no "caps" on service, which is good because I run a few servers, a static IP address, and I don't have to run additional software. Of course I pay extra for this, but you get better options, the next level isn't so far away (as in Bell's case), and the personal service is usually better.

Where does this software issue come from? I was with Bell (Sympatico) before I went to the private ISP and I never had to use software to access it in OS9. I think Bell wants you use the software but you don't have to. I let the Asante router do the work, which by the way Rogers wouldn't work with.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Kilobyte 1024 bytes = 1024 bytes
Megabyte 1024 kilobytes = 1,048,576 bytes
Gigabyte 1024 megabytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes
Terabyte 1024 gigabytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
Petabyte 1024 terabytes = 1,125,899,906,842,624 bytes
Exabyte 1024 petabytes = 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes
Zettabyte 1024 exabytes = 1,180,591,620,717,411,303,424 bytes
Yottabyte 1024 zettabytes = 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes

I would like Yottabyte download speeds ....

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I let the Asante router do the work, which by the way Rogers wouldn't work with.
What?
Is this a special case?

I don't agree with that statement..... I think Rogers does, but I don't use one either, but have seen may used.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts