Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking on signing up for the Rogers Hi-Speed/ digital TV package. But I remember all those stories from a few years back about their flaky email and other issues.

So, how's the service these days?

And, someone told me once that your computer has to be within 5 feet of where the cable comes into your house or they wont hook it up.I hope that's not true. Is it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Roger's service has greatly improved since a couple of years ago. I've had it at my home for 4 years and only experienced issues in the first year. Since then, it's been speedy, smooth sailing.

Unless they've changed their policy, the distance to your computer isn't an issue - unless, of course, you need them to run cables through multiple rooms and stories.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It's fine except getting slower by 30-40% at rare peak times (like, I think Saturday morning).
Has been working all the time for me for several months.
Your computer, or alternatively if you have one a router/gateway (like a Linksys or DLink product or an Airport basestation) that has to be close to the jack - you don't want to be stringing these coaxial cables far over the carpet. But the jack can be anywhere in your house - any cable outlet. So what they said is very far from the truth.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can't speak to the email or web hosting sservices but hooking in is dead easy.

My in-laws have the Roger's lite service (or whatever it's called) fro their PC. All I have to do to access it with my Ti is plug the E-net cable from the modem into my E-net slot and the it auto-configures. Bascially I was surfing in about 5 seconds from deciding to try it out. They were amazed I could "steal" their service so easily (i.e. Step one plug it in, Step two - there is no step two!).

I would recommend against the "lite" version though, max through put I observe is ~10-12 kps with it. Perhaps others could speak to the speeds they see with the full service.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Been solid - no down time in months - finally.
It gets slow but not critically.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Mine's been working fine - no problems with it whatsoever.

"And, someone told me once that your computer has to be within 5 feet of where the cable comes into your house or they wont hook it up.I hope that's not true. Is it?"

Someone was mistaken. ;) They'll hook it up anywhere they can run a cable. I've found the cable installers at Rogers to be really good. Friendly and chatty, they'll show you what they're doing and answer any questions. That's been my experience in the last two places I've lived.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It works fine, but it really depends on your location. My best friend and I both live downtown, just a few blocks from each other. My Rogers is nice and fast, but he's served by a different switcher (or something), and at the very end of the chain so it's incredibly slow -- practically 56k. He quit them a few times and went with other cable ISPs, but they all used the same network so they all had the same speed.

That, by the way, was the problem in the past. They've got more substations (or something), so it's much less of a problem. Still, the problem does exist. Call them and find out how close you are to their nearest switcher (or something).

·
Registered
933 Posts
How about this ... I'm told that if you upgrade to Roger's digital and internet and then cancel the internet, that they can't turn it off. I know at least one person who managed to keet the modem (sounds like they do not want to pay to have it shipped back generally) and bascially continued to have "free" high speed for some time afterwards.

'Course he tried to get fancy once and reconfig it to another outlet or something and FUBAR'd the connection somehow. Obviously he was outta luck and couldn't call the jolly Roger's people to fix it. ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've had Rogers now for over three years and have not experienced any problems whatsoever despite what all my friends had warned me about. Even during the switch to @rogers.. the reconfiguration was painless. It does bog down at certain times of the day due to heavy traffic but overall still very acceptable.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
My bandwidth has been great. No issues that I can call out really. I'm all good. ;) I'm in the d/t core of the GTA.

H!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yep. Pretty much the same scenario as hmto. No major problems that weren't coaxial or modem related.

If you're looking for the "dark side" of Rogers user experiences, try the Residential Broadband Users Assoc. at RBUA.org.. Definately some serious broadband users and abusers over there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.