Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a flight to Vancouver, a car rental and a drive to the Apple store in Seattle, a drive back to Canada, a State Patrol pull over, customs, Vancouver Airport, Edmonton's airport and back home my iPhone is a paper weight.

I had to use a friends ID to get the phone sold to me at the Apple Store, customs almost didn't let it back into Canada.

I put my Rogers Sim with Data Plan into the iPhone and got Invalid SIM. I cannot activate it thru iTunes without switching out of the Canada store. I cannot use the phone for anything but the expensive visa bill to fly back and forth.

So, Rogers wont work, and looks like its pretty locked down, normally unlocking phones is easy but not this one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Of course it's a paperweight! Try putting a Rogers SIM into any phone you bought from AT&T. It won't work. Get the phone unlocked you say. Fine, but it's not that easy at first! It usually takes hacking to do it which means someone has to find out how to do it and share (sell?) the information/software to others. The iPhone was JUST released! Nobody's gonna have unlocking information yet. You should've seen that coming when you bought it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went down to the states to get one also.

As of now it's a paperweight, but hopefully someone can figure out how to spoof the activation so at least I can use the iPod/WiFi functions.. Unlocking it completely would be a bonus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a huge downer, but be sure to avoid false unlocking sites such as: Unlock Your Apple iPhone - iPhoneUnlocking which has been confirmed fake.

As posted by JOS on Gizmodo.com
If you go to the first page and look at the source code you can see there is a link on the form item to
form action='register.php' method='post'...

And if you look at the javascript above in that same page.

function checkfrm(theForm) {
var emailFilter=/^\w+([\.-]?\w+)*@\w+([\.-]?\w+)*(\.\w{2,3})+$/;
var illegalChars= /[\(\)\\,\;\:\\\/\"\[\]]/
var strng = theForm.email.value;
var error = "";

if (!(emailFilter.test(strng))) {
error += "Please enter a valid email address.\n";
}
if (strng.match(illegalChars)) {
error += "The email address contains illegal characters.\n";
}

if(error != "") {
alert(error);
return false;
}
return true;
}

All it is looking for is to see if you have a STRING and to make sure that string is legal. So onto the next page.
Unlock Your Apple iPhone - iPhoneUnlocking

Now on this page we find a similar type of function checking and calling another post method.
form action='confirm.php' method="post"...

The function on this is simple as well.

function checkfrm(theForm) {
var strng = theForm.IMEI.value;
var stripped = strng.replace(/[\(\)\.\-\ ]/g, '');
var error = "";

if (isNaN(parseInt(stripped))) {
error += "The IMEI contains illegal characters.";
}
if (!(stripped.length == 15)) {
error += "The IMEI is the wrong length. IMEI must be 15 numbers (don't enter spaces or dashes)\n";
}
if (!(stripped.substring(0,6) == '011245')) {
error += "The IMEI is incorrect. You can find the correct IMEI on the box or by pressing *#06# on your handset\n";
}
if(error != "") {
alert(error);
return false;
}
return true;
}

So this is making sure you have legal characters, all numbers and making sure that you don't have the substring 0-5 in the first 6 spots.

The last page does nothing so it seems like this website is pretty much just harvesting e-mail addresses.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
telecom....i gotta say....i'm a little surprised that you would even try to do this? you must have alot of extra income to fly, rent a car, pay customs and buy an iphone with knowing it probably wouldn't work (and you should have known the latter).

of course rogers won't work. i'm quite surprised that anyone would try. i don't imagine they'll set themselves up to work with the iphone until they're ready to sign with apple.

i mean, if you knew it wouldn't work, then ok, but i hope you're not complaining. that's almost like buying a boat and complaining it won't fly....

cheers,
Keebler

·
Registered
513 Posts
That is a huge downer, but be sure to avoid false unlocking sites such as: Unlock Your Apple iPhone - iPhoneUnlocking which has been confirmed fake.

As posted by JOS on Gizmodo.com
You need to read the whole thread....any half decent web dev would tell you that the page in question only contains the validation for the form submission...what happens on the server side isn't viewable in the source code.

I wouldn't write off that site just yet....I'm skeptical of that site actually successfully unlocking iPhones but JOS' detective work is just as shady.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Something to think about if you know someone.

Unconfirmed: Activate the iPhone With Extra iPhone - Gizmodo

Procedure:

1.) Obtain 2 iPhones

2.) Plug in iPhone #1 In iTunes select "I am a new AT&T Wireless Customer" and "Activate 2 or more phones on an individual or FamilyTalk Plan."

3.) Follow the steps for the FamilyTalk plan and enter "Cell Number X" to port a number over from another provider (e.g. Sprint)

4.) When the you receive the "Activation Complete" e-mail, plug in iPhone #2.

5.) Select the option "I am an existing AT&T (Cingular) wireless customer" and "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone"

6.) Fill in the information re-using "Cell Number X." Allow the iPhone #2 to activate using this number. This number will be legit.

7.) Plug in iPhone #2, it will unlock the phone for use, but without a cell phone number assigned or account from AT&T.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Something to think about if you know someone.

Unconfirmed: Activate the iPhone With Extra iPhone - Gizmodo

Procedure:

1.) Obtain 2 iPhones

2.) Plug in iPhone #1 In iTunes select "I am a new AT&T Wireless Customer" and "Activate 2 or more phones on an individual or FamilyTalk Plan."

3.) Follow the steps for the FamilyTalk plan and enter "Cell Number X" to port a number over from another provider (e.g. Sprint)

4.) When the you receive the "Activation Complete" e-mail, plug in iPhone #2.

5.) Select the option "I am an existing AT&T (Cingular) wireless customer" and "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone"

6.) Fill in the information re-using "Cell Number X." Allow the iPhone #2 to activate using this number. This number will be legit.

7.) Plug in iPhone #2, it will unlock the phone for use, but without a cell phone number assigned or account from AT&T.
Dude, read this again; it only activates both phones and costs $175 because it cancels the first plan. This is a number port. Bad idea.

Just wait a few days for the eventual unlock. There is a lot of money to be made on these on the grey market so the motivation is there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Days???

Try months to a year or more before someone figures it out. That much I can guarantee you.

On another Apple site, it has been confirmed that the unlocking is going to take quite some time to figure out. We are talking months and months here, as the iPhone is not the same as every other cell phone out there that can be hacked or unlocked in minutes.

Until then, we will have to wait and see if and when unlocking the iPhone occurs.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but this is not your ordinary cell phone and or company you're dealing with. This one is going to take time and not days as some predict, more like months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sold the phone this morning to a friend in Ferndale, WA. I left the part out that i had to go to Seattle anyways.

I have a friend who works at Rogers and he said he was hearing the call center is flooded with call of people trying to activate iphones. He work in Corp accounts and says that Apple and Rogers are far away from striking a deal.

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Days???

Try months to a year or more before someone figures it out. That much I can guarantee you.

On another Apple site, it has been confirmed that the unlocking is going to take quite some time to figure out. We are talking months and months here, as the iPhone is not the same as every other cell phone out there that can be hacked or unlocked in minutes.

Until then, we will have to wait and see if and when unlocking the iPhone occurs.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but this is not your ordinary cell phone and or company you're dealing with. This one is going to take time and not days as some predict, more like months.
I'd love to start some virtual wagers. I think it will take less then a month.

My advice, keep checking: http://www.howardforums.com in the apple section.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Fine, a week or two.

It took very little time to hack the 360, PS3 and PSP. Apple's software is almost perfect, but there will be a memory hole somewhere and then BAM.

Also, if it really is OSX it should be easy to find a hole. Any unpatched vulnerability in the OS could be available to iPhone hackers.

And phone makers do not make it easy to decode their firmwares either. But a good incentive (cash) combined with hacking skills is a recipe that has yet to be defeated by any kind of 'hack proof scenario.'

·
Registered
470 Posts
He work in Corp accounts and says that Apple and Rogers are far away from striking a deal.
im quite sure the reason apple and rogers are far from striking a deal would mostly relate to apple being more concerned about the US release which was the first release -

also wanting to ensure they have enough of the phones to handle the rush of people lined up.

im sure once the dust settles on the US iphone release you will see a canadian release date announced soon.

i work at rogers and can confirm NOTHING has been announced to any staff - anyone that mentions anything about hearing something is not getting their information through people that actually know what is going on.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts