Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Wow Max, cool is right:

"These are the remnants of extinct plants from a geological period 300 million years ago, called the Carboniferous, when the world was covered in a riot of green. Illinois was near the equator and much warmer and wetter.

It was also a time before flowering plants had evolved, and so the plants would seem bizarre to modern eyes, said study co-author Howard Falcon-Lang, a geologist at the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom.

"These are some of the earliest known rainforests to evolve on our planet," he said. "It was like something out of Jules Verne."

Giant tree ferns would have formed a lower canopy 30 feet high. Poking up through the ferns would have been 100-foot-tall clubmosses — asparagus-like poles that sprouted crowns full of spores. It was the age of insects, with 6-foot-long millipedes and dragonflies with yard-long wingspans."

I can hardly wait for pictures or video of this wonderful find.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mind you, the huge bugs part is something I could live without... but yeah, an artist's rendering would help. I'd like to see what the stumps look like, embedded in the ceiling... bizarre.

·
Premium Member
42,903 Posts
I'm against all of this petrified forest business. End of story. I hope this comment shuts this bad topic right down.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, there you go again. Every time we try to have a pleasant conversation about petrified forests you have to jump in and shut it down. I don't know what you have against petrified forests, especially ones discovered in the depths of coal mines, but I sure don't want to know what happened to you as a child that you could be this way today.

I just don't know about this place anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts