Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
twice this week after my 17"iMac had been put in the sleep mode the fans started roaring and the only way I could find to stop them was to pull the plug. In both cases I left it unpluggewd overnight and had no problem starting although I did get one default message saying the "system had suddenly quit and I should report the problem to Apple" but gave no details as to how to report the problem. I have Applecare.
iMac 17" G5 all updates, 1G of RAM.:(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The roaring fans are a default setting when the system is unable to monitor itself. Sounds like it could be a hardware problem.
Bingo. :) However, before bringing it in to be serviced, perform a SMC/MLB reset first (doing that can sometimes clear up problems like the one you're having... other times, not so much. However, always worth a shot).

SMC Reset: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303446

If that fails to resolve the issue, bring 'er in... could be a faulty/marginal logic board (I've seen this and your symptom before).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lars - - isn't resetting the SMC exactly what I have done by unplugging and waiting? Maybe I'm not grasping the instructions shown on the page you gave me.:confused:
Thank you both for your replies!

·
Registered
619 Posts
The G5 needs to be unplugged for 10 seconds and then plugged back in *while holding the power button*. It's the Intel iMacs that can just be unplugged and left to sit for a bit.

iMac G5: How to Reset the SMU

Is your 17" iMac G5 the one with an iSight camera built in or no? Apple changed the boards and configurations for the original G5 iMacs and the newer ones.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Orion, my iMac does not have the built in iSight. I'll try the 10 second rule you pointed out Thanks.
I have reset the PRAM since writing in and and have had no problems in the the last two nights:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts