Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Risky Proposition? Hitachi or WD 250GB Laptop Drive!

Hey folks.

Well, I need a hard drive upgrade, and I need A BIG ONE. My 1st gen MBP currently has a 5400rpm 80GB drive, and between TWO different types of media work (audio and video) I need the biggest SATA drive I can get. The notions are as follows:

Seagate is generally known to be the best and their five year warranty bears this out. Although they have a 7200rpm 200GB drive, the problems for me are that I'm concerned about battery usage @ 7200rpm, I can't seem to find this particular 200GB Seagate anywhere in Canada... and there are 250GB drives out there... which leads me to:

The Hitachi 5400rpm 250GB drive. Price: $292.99. I don't know if Hitachi has righted the sins after they bought the "Deathstar" line from IBM some time ago, but Apple uses their drives from time to time, iirc. Their warranty: three years.

Then, there's the Western Digital Scorpio -- same speed and capacity as the Hitachi -- for less (as usual with these guys). In fact, Infonec is selling this drive for peanuts! As WD's reputation has been considered to be the lessor of the above, I might pass. And yet, they too have a three year warranty.

Sooo... what do y'all think? It's a mission-critical system that is back-up'd weekly (some smaller data files sync'd daily with .Mac and I usually do a drag-drop of big projects to external at the end of a heavy day's work), it needs to be BIG... oh, and QUIET.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go with the WD..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got the WD on a current gen MacBook and I love it. Keep in mind, its 232gb after formatting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts