ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to use a .MTS file in iMove but when I convert it with iVi (a nice free app of the mac app store) it will give me a high level of pixelation if I use there .mts preprocess it will give me lines were ever there is movement. Any one know what to do or a nice (Preferably free)program that will convert these to a format iMovie will use with ease.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
iSquint

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I dont know dude. I've never heard of mts formats so I'm all out of suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
iMovie should download these mts files directly from the Camera. They're AVCHD files from Panasinic or Sony, right?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had a hard time with MTS files ever since I bought my Canon. They play in Windows Media Player with no problems, but there's nothing that comes with OSX that allows you to view them, let alone edit. I've had to do all my editing in Premier since I have the Adobe Master Suite.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a hard time with MTS files ever since I bought my Canon. They play in Windows Media Player with no problems, but there's nothing that comes with OSX that allows you to view them, let alone edit. I've had to do all my editing in Premier since I have the Adobe Master Suite.
The whole reason I bought my mac was to use iMovie arrg

·
Registered
64 Posts
The whole reason I bought my mac was to use iMovie arrg
In the end it was my bad, I should have checked what format the camcorder was saving in. Lesson learned I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
we feel your pain. hoping that the newer version of final cut, final cut express and imovie have this capability built in. sad that it isn't.

but as others have suggested, clipwrap is fantastic as is mpeg streamclip (latter being free) although clipwrap's twitter account will show discount codes often enough.

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
I think that it's safe to assume that the OP would have checked Google or some other search engine before posting here. He posted a pretty specific question which neither of the links that you provided addressed.
They probably did do some Googling but check message #5, and the second URL sure seems to provide some pretty simple clear instructions and with other links for the OP to check out.

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Sorry to mention Google again but a search on 'Canon camera MTS files Mac OS X 10.6 iMovie' certainly provides some hits with some do and don't suggestions and it seems that things are not always quite as simple as they should be.

But some workarounds are provided including some such as iMovie ’11 Still Does Not Support Many AVCHD (.mts) Files; Workaround | Appletoolbox.com Tools, Tips and Fixes for iPhone, Mac, iPad and iPod and the linked Apple KB article iMovie '09: Importing AVCHD clips from some multi-format camcorders may require additional steps for iMovie '09 and '11.

ie: as the Apple article states "Importing AVCHD clips from some multi-format camcorders may require additional steps". Yeah right - but why???!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to mention Google again but a search on 'Canon camera MTS files Mac OS X 10.6 iMovie' certainly provides some hits with some do and don't suggestions and it seems that things are not always quite as simple as they should be.

But some workarounds are provided including some such as iMovie ’11 Still Does Not Support Many AVCHD (.mts) Files; Workaround | Appletoolbox.com Tools, Tips and Fixes for iPhone, Mac, iPad and iPod and the linked Apple KB article iMovie '09: Importing AVCHD clips from some multi-format camcorders may require additional steps for iMovie '09 and '11.

ie: as the Apple article states "Importing AVCHD clips from some multi-format camcorders may require additional steps". Yeah right - but why???!!!
Should of metioned thisbefore but this was from a cousins wedding and I dont have the camera its someone else that I just got the footage off of instead of haveing to work with my cheap sony handy cam. also will try clip wrap and the other one I already tried every other video converter :)

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
I think I read in one of the articles that if you have all the data files in a folder that was downloaded from the camera, you need to remove some of the file types and then it will often import directly into iMovie.

PS: Make a backup copy before mucking around with the originals - just is case....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts