·
Canadian By Choice
117,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Canadian By Choice
117,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think Trump will be able to appoint a replacement before the election?
He shall try, which is VERY hypocritical for the Republican Party. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
He’ll try. He has no respect for her last wishes. Neither does Mitch McConnel.
Interestingly, back in 2016, Lindsey Graham said: “I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

Be fun to watch him weasel out of that. Mitch McConnell similarly postponed the nomination in 2016 under similar circumstances.

·
Premium Member
10,088 Posts
It’s a case of “do as I do” not as “I say”. I’d say goodbye Roe v Wade if Trump gets his way.

·
Premium Member
10,088 Posts
I think our U.S. brethren would be well served if all elected positions have term limits. So a House member can only have 3 terms a Senator only 2 terms and, most importantly in today’s era, a Supreme Court justice 1 term of 10 years. Just think who would be “bye-byes in today’s political environment down there. As a note we should also have similar laws for our elected members....especially our Senate.

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
Barack Obama:

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the President is to nominate someone, the Senate is to consider that nomination... There's no unwritten law that says that it can only be done on off-years. That's not in the Constitution text."

"I'm going to do my job. I'm going to nominate somebody... It's not as if the Senate calendar is so full that we do not have time to get this done."
https://www.bitchute.com/video/M6zg3K9qF0wK/

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
Be fun to watch him weasel out of that. Mitch McConnell similarly postponed the nomination in 2016 under similar circumstances.
He has. He says it's up to the Senate to decide if they will hear a nomination before the election. He took a significant risk by putting the kibosh on a vote regarding Garland.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Do you think Trump will be able to appoint a replacement before the election?
3 Reasons Mitch McConnell Is Not a Hypocrite for Considering Trump's Potential RBG Replacement

Not only does McConnell’s decision to consider a Trump nominee follow the McConnell rule, but it also follows the claims Democrats made in 2016. According to Obama’s White House, it would even be acceptable for Trump to nominate a Supreme Court justice less than two months before the election, and for the Senate to confirm that justice after the election, even if Biden were to win that election.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
From the same link as above:

While McConnell grounded his decision not to consider Garland in precedent, Schumer, Obama, and Ginsburg herself called for a Senate vote on Obama’s Supreme Court nominee.
Huh. A basket of Prog hypocrites.

Shocka...

He has no respect for her last wishes. Neither does Mitch McConnel.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
<snort>

'Cause hypocritical Dems simply do not exist, right? Neither on these boards nor in American politics.

I think it's fabulous that the Progs are screaming against a nomination prior to the election. As is entirely likely, this election will be decided in the SCOTUS and, with Ginsburg gone, the numbers support Trump.

He shall try, which is VERY hypocritical for the Republican Party.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
A Mark Kelly win in Ariz. Senate race could spoil McConnell's plans to replace Ginsburg
If he's victorious Nov. 3, the Democrat, former astronaut and husband of Gabby Giffords might take office in time for the vote.

Arizona's critical Senate race has suddenly taken on extra weight, because Democrat Mark Kelly could potentially be sworn in early enough to vote on a replacement for the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg if he wins.

Kelly, a former astronaut and the husband of ex-Rep. Gabby Giffords, is favored to prevail over appointed Republican Sen. Martha McSally. And Arizona law indicates he could be sworn in by Nov. 30, during the lame-duck session of Congress when Republicans may try to push through a Ginsburg replacement if they are unable to do so before the election.

That could potentially narrow Senate Republicans' current 53-to-47 majority as they rush to fill the vacancy on the high court before January when a new Congress and possibly new president will be sworn in. Right now, four Senate Republicans would have to defect to block an appointment, but if Kelly is in office, then only three would need to bolt. And all eyes are currently focused on three possible GOP defections — Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah.

(NBC)​

Alaska Senator Murkowski said Friday she would not vote for a justice ahead of Inauguration Day

Shortly before the announcement that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had died Friday, Sen. Lisa Murkowski said in an interview that if she was presented with a vacancy on the court, she would not vote to confirm a nominee before the election.

Ginsburg died in her home in Washington D.C. at the age of 87 of complications from pancreatic cancer.

“I would not vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee. We are 50 some days away from an election,” she said.

Murkowski said her reasoning is based on the same reasoning that held up the confirmation of former President Barack Obama’s final nominee to the Supreme Court.

She also noted that months prior to the 2016 presidential election, while Obama was still president, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Americans needed to pick the next president before the Senate confirmed a new justice to the Supreme Court.

“That was too close to an election, and that the people needed to decide,” Murkowski said, recalling McConnell’s argument at the time. “That the closer you get to an election, that argument becomes even more important.”

President Trump is expected to try to push Ginsburg’s successor through the Republican-controlled Senate. A new justice could be confirmed by a simple majority of 51. Murkowski is one of 53 Republican senators.

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
So essentially, Pence could cast the deciding vote!

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
GOP’s Collins Says Court Pick Should Be Left to Nov. 3 Winner

Maine Senator Susan Collins became the first Republican to break ranks with GOP leadership and President Donald Trump to say the next Supreme Court nominee should be selected by whoever is elected president on Nov. 3.

“In fairness to the American people, who will either be re-electing the president or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the president who is elected on November 3rd,” Collins said in a statement Saturday.

Collins is facing a tough re-election fight in a Democratic-leaning state in part because of her voting in favor of Trump’s last court pick, Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can afford to lose the support of only three GOP senators and still be able to force a vote to confirm Trump’s pick to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Senator Lisa Murkowski told Alaska Public Radio Friday before Ginsburg’s death was announced that if there were a vacancy on the court this year she wouldn’t vote to confirm a nominee before the election, but hasn’t made a statement since.

(Bloomberg)​

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
So Pence will be the deciding vote if needed! Thanks for clarifying!

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Hello, Bigot.

<snort>

You don't actually think that Joey Wetfingers/Heels-Up Harris stand a chance come Nov, do you? Reading the very same polls that predicted Bill's Wife's win 4 years ago again, are we? Convinced that mail in ballot fraud will prove insurmountable for Trump? Counting on all those illegal alien votes?

Good luck. Between Pantifa/BLM and all their fiery but mostly peaceful "protests", including the associated Prog mayoral responses, Chinese coronavirus Prog response, Russian collusion BS and a veritable host of other Prog issues, not limited to but including Malig-Nancy Pelosi, when the dust settles Donny Two Scoops will be in like Flynn.

Gitcher crying towels out now. :-(

...the next Supreme Court nominee should be selected by whoever is elected president on Nov. 3.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts