Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" Sen. John McCain, the 2008 GOP presidential nominee who was driven by a code of honor that defined and haunted him, dies at 81

McCain endured more than five years of imprisonment and torture by the North Vietnamese as a young Navy pilot. He went on to battle foes — on the left and the right — in the marble corridors of Washington.

A Republican who seemed his truest self when outraged, he reveled in opposing orthodoxy and spent decades representing Arizona in the Senate. He twice ran unsuccessfully for president. McCain was diagnosed with a brain tumor in July 2017."

:(:-:)(

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
We should take no pleasure in anyone's death, but neither should death automatically make someone guilty of awful deeds a hero.

McCain had a long history as a warmonger, supporting and calling for military action against the USA's "enemies" (i.e., any country that got between it and an oil patch). Remember "Bomb, Bomb, Iran"?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg[/ame]

Remember that he gave us Sarah Palin as his running mate — the Alaskan wingnut who damn near became Vice President?

His personal sacrifices and dedication to his country you might laud - but certainly not the death and destruction he advocated.

One person's hero is another person's terrorist.

He also was touted as a champion against the use of torture by the US government - but this was not as it seemed:

McCain did have a personal code of honour that one can respect - as evidenced in his defence of Barack Obama in the face of a right-wingnut racist who called Obama "an Ay-rab" during one of McCain's "town hall" public events in his Presidential campaign:

Watch John McCain defend Barack Obama against a racist voter in 2008

he defended Barack Obama, his rival for the presidency, in the face of constituents spouting racist conspiracies about the then-senator from Illinois.

“I can’t trust Obama. I have read about him, and he’s not, um, he’s an Arab,” a woman said to McCain at a town hall meeting in Lakeville, Minnesota in October 2008.

McCain grabbed the microphone from her, cutting her off. “No, ma’m,” he said. “He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that just I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what the campaign’s all about. He’s not [an Arab].”

McCain's national character was built upon his experiences as a POW - there is enormous weight to that sacrifice, including his refusal to be sent home, though in extremely poor health, before the rest of his fellow prisoners. He built a political career out of that hero status — that status being conferred as a result of his participation in a brutal, unnecessary, disastrous effort to "combat communism" in Asia, at the cost of some two million lives....

There are political figures whose deaths I've welcomed, but McCain's isn't one of them. But neither does he deserve unfettered praise for a political record so tarnished.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
CM, some people are moved by his death--is this really the time to introduce your political diatribes? At times like this, it's best to hold off for awhile.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
CM, I, too, didn’t like many of his positions, however my reading of the man is that he was probably the last of the old style republicans. He had his convictions but I think you would be hard pressed to find where he wasn’t honourable......a trait lacking in so many elected officials today. He was liked by both sides of the house, also a hard found trait today. To me, all you need to know about him was that he was an Admiral’s son who when captured by the VC refused a release deal ..... “we all go or no one goes”. So there he stayed ... years in a prison. I would ask who among us would have said the same under similar circumstances....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CM, some people are moved by his death--is this really the time to introduce your political diatribes? At times like this, it's best to hold off for awhile.
CM, I, too, didn’t like many of his positions, however my reading of the man is that he was probably the last of the old style republicans. He had his convictions but I think you would be hard pressed to find where he wasn’t honourable......a trait lacking in so many elected officials today. He was liked by both sides of the house, also a hard found trait today. To me, all you need to know about him was that he was an Admiral’s son who when captured by the VC refused a release deal ..... “we all go or no one goes”. So there he stayed ... years in a prison. I would ask who among us would have said the same under similar circumstances....
I agree with both these positions. Paix, mes amis.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two great senators lost on the same day, years apart. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) died Saturday, nine years to the day after Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) died of the same rare cancer. Both men died from of glioblastomas, an extremely form of aggressive brain cancer. McCain was 81; Kennedy was 77.

:-:)-(

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Ah - sorry 'bout that. Someone let me know when it's appropriate to post about his racism, homophobia, etc. Another day or two? A week?

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
Be gracious. I know that you can.

I'd suggest you wait as long as you have waited to address Fidel Castro's support of torture and his homophobia.

Ah - sorry 'bout that. Someone let me know when it's appropriate to post about his racism, homophobia, etc. Another day or two? A week?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Here is the thing, no one is perfect. I do not know a whole lot about him so remain quiet as I have no opinions either way, but if I did not think highly of him I know Is surely would not be hopping on to start bringing up all the bad things in his life just as you would not want people to bring up all the things you did wrong at your funeral. Funerals would turn into a Sienfield episode of festivus, airing of the grievances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts