1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
For whatever reason this song instantly came to mind, though I am pretty sure it was originally inspired by Jim Baker, or Pat Robertson, or........

Anyways I'll pre-apologize to any who find this in poor taste.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMMBE6KRbI[/ame]

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
It's not a matter of taste... it's inaccurate. Graham notoriously turned down most of the wealth he could have scooped out of his ministry.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
It's not a matter of taste... it's inaccurate. Graham notoriously turned down most of the wealth he could have scooped out of his ministry.
Sure... $25 million is enough for anyone, right?

But regardless... his personal wealth notwithstanding, the counsel he provided to most U.S. Presidents since Truman are concerning, particularly his very un-Christian advice to Nixon on how to kill the Vietnamese. Like most holier-than-thou televangelists, there were no shortage of topics on which to find him lacking in compassion and understanding.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
I am not a religious person, so my take on his passing is that he was the consummate professional. He understood his market, and in many instances was a futurist in the use of media and persona......”Say’s Law” so to speak. Regardless, his career spanned decades as did his influence. He now has the answer to an age old question....... Rest In Peace Rev. Graham, you gave it all you had.

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
The property was owned by the ministry and still is.

Not buying any of the other faux concern on your part. You were fine with Castro's "lack of compassion" in organizing mass executions "because they deserved it."

But regardless... his personal wealth notwithstanding, the counsel he provided to most U.S. Presidents since Truman are concerning, particularly his very un-Christian advice to Nixon on how to kill the Vietnamese. Like most holier-than-thou televangelists, there were no shortage of topics on which to find him lacking in compassion and understanding.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
You were fine with Castro's "lack of compassion" in organizing mass executions "because they deserved it."
I'm always fascinated by CM's willingness to excuse all manner of atrocities in support of the Prog narrative...

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts

I’m sorry, I must have read the banner of this thread wrong!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
It is always evident when people should choose not to comment. Apparently their mother never taught them, 'if you can't say anything good, STFU.'

Few orators every eclipsed Billy and you can't take that away from him.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
It is always evident when people should choose not to comment. Apparently their mother never taught them, 'if you can't say anything good, STFU.'

I heard him speak way back. He was indeed a polished speaker even back in the late sixties. I will admit that I was greatly tempted to toss some change into the bucket, but fortunately had had the presence of mind/poverty to attend with empty pockets.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
And I remain baffled by people who put evil men on a pedestal and sing their praises just because they've kicked the bucket.

There's no short list of historical figures who have been great orators, who nonetheless have committed atrocities....

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Like, say, Castro?

And I remain baffled by people who put evil men on a pedestal and sing their praises just because they've kicked the bucket.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts

There's no short list of historical figures who have been great orators, who nonetheless have committed atrocities....
So I guess I did read this wrong, I thought this was the Rest In Peace Billy Graham thread instead its the “ Rip “ Billy Graham thread.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
There is no shortage of hypocrites amongst the evangelical crowd. Ted Haggerty, and Jim and Tammy Fay leap instantly to mind.

Whether Billy is to be included on that list will be judged by St. Peter. We won't know the outcome but I am sure it will be appropriate.

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
No, you didn't read closely enough, I said evil men. Try to keep up.
Yup, just a thief, murderer and a dictator--but the people he victimized deserved it and he created laws that made his evil legacy legal.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Merely further confirmation that you Progs don't have an f'ing clue.

Thx. :clap:

No, you didn't read closely enough, I said evil men. Try to keep up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts