·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad. Always liked his role in Twister. That made the movie. :clap:
he seemed to have fallen into the over acting / extremely over dramatic 2nd and 3rd tier roles in his life..

But yes Twister was one of them that stood out.. I will admit he was very good in Big Love - i watched that role as one my clients were a principle actor in the series - they played his brother in the series..

it is still unfortunate any way you look at it.. especially as it happened in surgery, my wife had surgery recently that had some complications and yes it is scary - surgery is still like the 60-70s apollo space program - you go up in space and then pray and hope you come back alive and well . sadly as in Bills case you dont. :(

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
He was great in Frailty a very unusual thriller. Always memorable as Private Hudson in Aliens.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought he was great in "Big Love"
Also in Aliens, Wired Science.
R.I.P.

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
Forgot Weird Science! Saw him in Brain Dead at theatre in Dallas years ago--an unnoticed and under-rated film.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
All too sad... I can't get over how many great talents are dying before their time. All my condolences to his family, friends and coworkers.

Far, far too young to die. :-(

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
All too sad... I can't get over how many great talents are dying before their time. All my condolences to his family, friends and coworkers.

Far, far too young to die. :-(
Sadly, all too true. :-(

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
he seemed to have fallen into the over acting / extremely over dramatic 2nd and 3rd tier roles in his life..

But yes Twister was one of them that stood out.. I will admit he was very good in Big Love - i watched that role as one my clients were a principle actor in the series - they played his brother in the series..

it is still unfortunate any way you look at it.. especially as it happened in surgery, my wife had surgery recently that had some complications and yes it is scary - surgery is still like the 60-70s apollo space program - you go up in space and then pray and hope you come back alive and well . sadly as in Bills case you dont. :(
Why do even feel the need to post such a thing. The man was not just an actor he was a human being, a family member and a friend to many. Such sentiments should be left alone until the dust settles. That comment was completely unnecessary and unkind IMO. At this point in time it is appropriate by common decency to reserve those kind of thoughts to your own mind.

I guess I am just old school that way where you should not speak ill of the dead until some time has passed.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Why do even feel the need to post such a thing. The man was not just an actor he was a human being, a family member and a friend to many. Such sentiments should be left alone until the dust settles. That comment was completely unnecessary and unkind IMO. At this point in time it is appropriate by common decency to reserve those kind of thoughts to your own mind.

I guess I am just old school that way where you should not speak ill of the dead until some time has passed.
Well said, screature. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

it was simply an observation.. was he talented: yes - as i so mentioned which series i thought he was.. again - it was an opinion.. But I guess in this overly sensitive society of easily hurt feelings you are not allowed to mention observations. Not an insult - loosen up a little don't let life get you down..

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
he seemed to have fallen into the over acting / extremely over dramatic 2nd and 3rd tier roles in his life..(
I might agree with you on that point. Though it might simply be that he moved away from what I think was his forte: comedy. He created a type of character that might in future be considered Paxton-esque - the brash, trash talking, high school bully-type guy who is revealed to be completely lily-livered upon encountering his first adversity or being challenged. Yet delivered with pathos and lots of humor. Hudson was the best character in Aliens, and hearing "suck start a leaf blower" from True Lies still cracks me up. I even think his punk role in Terminator stood out.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might agree with you on that point. Though it might simply be that he moved away from what I think was his forte: comedy. He created a type of character that might in future be considered Paxton-esque - the brash, trash talking, high school bully-type guy who is revealed to be completely lily-livered upon encountering his first adversity or being challenged. Yet delivered with pathos and lots of humor. Hudson was the best character in Aliens, and hearing "suck start a leaf blower" from True Lies still cracks me up. I even think his punk role in Terminator stood out.
agreed - glad you understand what i meant.
some people are overly sensitive and it will ruin their lives so much they will pressure others to see it their way. ;)
cheers.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
it was simply an observation.. was he talented: yes - as i so mentioned which series i thought he was.. again - it was an opinion.. But I guess in this overly sensitive society of easily hurt feelings you are not allowed to mention observations. Not an insult - loosen up a little don't let life get you down..
Maybe you should think about what people who you don't even know might write about you when you are just freshly deceased... "Yeah too bad he died, he was ok at his job but he really didn't perform well for along time."

His family and friend will read was was written about him. Hopefully ehMac is too insignificant for them to read what is written here.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE* you should not speak ill of the dead until some time has passed.
Please pardon me for going completely off-topic, and also for asking something that might be considered very insensitive; but I am genuinely curious and would like to know.

What is the origin of this (don't speak ill of the dead) and why should one not speak ill of the dead? We certainly do speak ill of the living (when it can really hurt them), so why not once they're dead and it no longer makes any difference?

Again, my intention is not to troll. My question comes out of genuine curiosity and interest.

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Great question tilt, I too share your curiosity. If the guy was a deadbeat lout, it is worth noting at any time. Ditto for bad actors could be argued. Thanks for asking it, I can hardly wait for plausible reasons for such a thing. ;)

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
Tilt, my understanding is that one should not immediately speak ill of the dead because a grieving family might hear you do so, or hear about your comments. Also, it speaks to a cowardly bravado to suddenly speak ill of the dead when they're unable to defend themselves.

In the Internet age, that has been translated to "don't write ill of the dead," because the family may read what you said online, though that seems unlikely to me. Secondarily, some readers may actually be saddened by the person's death, so don't pick at their fresh wounds.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OMG - seems that i 'triggered' screature because i had an opinion of what i thought was talent.. again i was not rude or offensive..
once again - overly sensitive. But I too appreciate the topic TILT has brought up..

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
OMG - seems that i 'triggered' screature because i had an opinion of what i thought was talent.. again i was not rude or offensive..
once again - overly sensitive. But I too appreciate the topic TILT has brought up..
You seem to think too much about my reaction and its importance to me of what I said to you. If I were really upset you would know it, as it is I just thought it insensitive to his memory and family as your comments came immediately following his death. You should try and get over my far from terse words to you and just move on.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Tilt, my understanding is that one should not immediately speak ill of the dead because a grieving family might hear you do so, or hear about your comments. Also, it speaks to a cowardly bravado to suddenly speak ill of the dead when they're unable to defend themselves.

In the Internet age, that has been translated to "don't write ill of the dead," because the family may read what you said online, though that seems unlikely to me. Secondarily, some readers may actually be saddened by the person's death, so don't pick at their fresh wounds.
Your comments and Screature's get at the heart of the matter. Not a rule, and worth questioning. I still mind my manners...usually.

A helpful discussion I would prefer in another thread. C'est la vie.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts