Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" Aretha Franklin, the legendary 'Queen of Soul' and a symbol of black pride and women's liberation, dies at 76, AP reports".

She had quite the voice and shall be missed by millions. :-(

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
I wasn’t a huge fan, but she certainly had a set of pipes. Many people have said that with one note played on a guitar they could tell it was B.B. King, well that was true for her, just one word in a song and you knew it was her. Respect comes to mind. No one could sing “What” like she did in the opening of that song. ( and not to tarnish Kelly Clarkson’s great rendition. )

Around Windsor/Detroit it is indeed a dark day.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Aretha Franklin - man, there was no-one else like her, and likely never will be. Amazing talent, and a woman of great conviction. Those who remember her only as a singer do not do justice to the depth of her character and commitment.

Aretha Says She'll Go Angela's Bond If Permitted

Soul Queen Aretha Franklin says she stands ready to go Angela Davis' bond, 'whether it's $100,000 or $250,000,' if the courts will let her. Miss Davis, a 26-year-old former UCLA Philosophy instructor and an admitted Communist, is being held in New York without bond pending extradition to San Rafael, Calif., where a Marin County grand jury returned murder, kidnaping and conspiracy indictments against her in connection with a courtroom escape attempt that took four lives. Miss Davis was accused of buying the guns that were used in the abortive attempt to free three prisoners.

Miss Franklin said, 'My daddy (Detroit's Rev. C.L. Franklin) says I don't know what I'm doing. Well, I respect him, of course, but I'm going to stick to my beliefs. Angela Davis must go free. Black people will be free. I've been locked up (for disturbing the peace in Detroit) and I know you got to disturb the peace when you can’t get no peace. Jail is hell to be in. I’m going to see her free if there is any justice in our courts, not because I believe in Communism, but because she is a Black woman and she wants freedom for black people. I have the money; I got it from black people – they’ve made me financially able to have it – and I want to use it in ways that will help our people.”

Aretha Franklin’s History with Civil Rights, from Martin Luther King Jr. to Barack Obama

In 1970, famous feminist activist, scholar, and a then-avowed member of the Communist Party Angela Davis was arrested at the Howard Johnson Motor Lodge in Midtown Manhattan and incarcerated for 16 months for what were found to be wrongful kidnapping and murder charges. Jet magazine reported that she was ready to cover Davis’s bond, “whether it was $100,000 or $250,000.” Davis was released on bail and cleared of her charges in 1972; dairy farmer Roger McAfee ended up offering his property as collateral for her bail.

Related: Angela Davis Acquitted On All Charges (by an all-white jury)

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Three years ago —at the age of 73— Franklin performed at the Kennedy Center Honors ceremony for Carole King, who wrote "Natural Woman".

More than 55 years as a performer... and she could still knock the house down....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsnZT7Z2yQ[/ame]

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn’t a huge fan, but she certainly had a set of pipes. Many people have said that with one note played on a guitar they could tell it was B.B. King, well that was true for her, just one word in a song and you knew it was her. Respect comes to mind. No one could sing “What” like she did in the opening of that song. ( and not to tarnish Kelly Clarkson’s great rendition. )

Around Windsor/Detroit it is indeed a dark day.
She had a four octave range which is considered amazing. She shall be missed. :-(

·
Premium Member
42,491 Posts
Rush Limbaugh started his career as a radio disc jockey:

"I was just starting to work in radio when Aretha Franklin bopped on the scene... Everybody’s calling her the "Queen of Soul,” and there’s no doubt she was. I think that doesn’t go nearly far enough in describing Aretha Franklin, who she was and what she did, her talents and so forth. She was soul, there was no question. She defined it.
Millennials love [these songs] as much as we did when we were kids... It is the quintessential American story, Aretha Franklin, and the impact she had, the reach she had, the talent and so forth. So, yeah, she was the Queen of Soul. But to me it seems not enough...Yeah, she was that, but she was much, much more.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Not to mention she helped make the Blues Brothers movie so great.
Funny, that's the first thing I thought of, too. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The King ( Elvis Presley ) and the Queen ( Aretha) died on the same day, 41 years apart. :(

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,491 Posts
NOW, you're talkin'!

The above link is from the Blues Brothers 2000.. much "Respect"

… but my friend, you need to "Think about what your sayin..." :lmao::lmao:

BReligion

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As well, guess what? Babe Ruth “ The Sultan of Swat”died on the same day as well as Elvis and Aretha.
A King, a Queen and a Sultan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts