Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, OS X cam about by Apple purchasing NeXT Software from Steve Jobs back in 1997. When they made the purchase, we were right int he middle of the Copeland project for Classic Mac OS (7.6 was out at the time as I recall), and we heard of a new development called "Rhapsody".

Rhapsody was what would become OS X.

Why am I bringng this up? Because I found some screenshots!

http://www.pegasus3d.com/rhapsody/rhapsody_screens.html

It is also worth of note that the version pictured is running in Virtual PC, and is designed for Intel hardware. Note how it looks a lot like OS 8, but has a lot of features of OS X (Columns, .app extensions for apps). Strange eh?

Long Live Yellow Box!

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Looking at the screen shots and seeing the old trash can.
sigh
I miss the trash can icon :(
Robert

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually remember talking with a friend of mine back in the day about the blue box vs the yellow box and how they were going to be integrated. I don;t remember exactly how they were planning it back then, but I believe we were talking about how it is done now.

The Blue Box is Classic/Carbon, the Yellow Box is Cocoa. This is why Classic is identified as "TruBlue Environment" in the Process Viewer.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow, thanks PosterBoy, I never releaised how much Rhapsody (which I had only heard rumors of) had changed so much from Copland to Mac OS X. Very interesting to see how it has obviously evolved.

·
Registered
719 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert:
Looking at the screen shots and seeing the old trash can.
sigh
I miss the trash can icon :(
Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drag Thing lets you put the trash back on the desktop!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
ThanX PB!
I wonder if this could be a sign of things to come, if they had very similer stuff running on VPC before, will they do it again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.