Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Revisiting that G5 vs G4 Thing...

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
In case any of you missed these two forum discussions on MacNN, I thought I'd post the links below.

I can't get enough of these G5 vs G4 discussions because nobody really knows how it will shake out. The most interesting thing to me will be (when the G5's are available) is... is a dual G4 comparable to a single G5 in some/many ways? Having had to decide on whether to buy one over the other, without the benefit of real comparisons, is what makes this an interesting topic. I guess, in the end, it'll always be like comparing two sports cars, quarter mile times, handling, design, accessories, that kind of stuff. After all, for many of us, despite our current age, eighteen was like an hour ago. And that's a good thing.
Here's those links...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166485

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166291

-GW

#3 ·
I just interrupted my video editing project for today to read this.

Of course I'm doing the video stuff with a beige G3 that was originally 333 Mhz. Since then there's been a blue-and-white G3, the G4 for many years (remember the first ad with the tanks? It had to be registered as a lethal weapon because it was so fast?) and now the G5...

My only hang-up with the G3 is that OS X is a little sluggish, and rending video takes awhile. For my purposes a new dual G4 will be an enormous leap, and that's what I'm saving up for.

And because I do a lot of editing I crave lots of hard drives, a second optical drive as well as OS 9 applications -- all the things I can't get with a G5. Why would I pay more for less? For me speed isn't everything. But the speed of a new dual G4 is nothing to sneeze at either.

If my beige can still suits my needs in 2003, a new G4 will be fine in years to come.

#4 ·
Yeah, the G4 is end of line, closing special time. BUT...

There is no software to take advantage of the G5, including the OS.

Given the slow migration to OS X, I am guessing that it will be at least until this time next summer that it would really be worthwhile to G5

So, when will liquid cooled computers be available as OEM?

#5 ·
For software developers, migrating from the G4 to the G5 is trivial, especially when compared to migrating from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Plus, current applications will be able to benefit from the increased performance of the G5 without any work done by the developer.

#8 ·
Minnes, if that is correct, then maybe I shall wait on my G5............................................and then you could all come to the "tar and feathers" party certain of you would surely "throw" for (at?) me. I have actually been advised by certain unnamed members of our fine community to wait on my purchase. I shall not reveal their reasons, in that this would reveal their identity, but many of their points made sense, in much the same manner as your points were logical. Still, with what I hear is 250,000+ preorders already in the system, by the time my system arrives they may be up to OS X.3 and various corrections made. Newfoundland and Labrador is the province at the end of the Cupertino eastward "milk wagon". We shall see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.